Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What?! Another gear oil question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transmission / Overdrive: What?! Another gear oil question?

    I went to get gear oil for the 2R17 I have and went with GL-4 in mind, but most of the oils I saw, especially the synthetics all stated the were GL-5 and I have a T-9, so I don't want to make it any worse than it normally is. Not to mention I'm filling both receptacles, so that's 10 quarts. I only want to do this right once.

    Some of the oils said they met GL-4 and GL-5 standards and if they state they're for Limited Slip differentials, does that matter in a non-LS diff?

    I'm about ready to just drive down 30 miles to a nearby town with a Cal Ranch store and get GL-1 and spend the extra time and gas and not worry about this.

  • #2
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    I'm about ready to just drive down 30 miles to a nearby town with a Cal Ranch store and get GL-1 and spend the extra time and gas and not worry about this.
    That's the thing to do. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Most of the GL4 oils with the exception of Sta Lube are of the synthetic variety and can be used in manual transmissions. You need a GL5 lube in the differential as the differential uses hypoid gears. The use of a lube rated for limited slip differentials can be used in a non positraction differential, it won't hurt anything except your wallet. NAPA still sells a GL1 lube, but usually has to order it if that is what you want to use. Also keep in mind that you can use an SAE 40 or 50 engine oil in your transmission as they are an acceptable substitute. Bud

      Comment


      • #4
        GL-1 in the 6 gal. container will last a long time. I've had a container for over 10 years and even with Gravely changes still have 1/3 left. I'm tempted to buy another before obsolete and probably won't need any more. Keeps a lid on stacking bottles and stuff....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jackb View Post
          GL-1 in the 6 gal. container will last a long time. I've had a container for over 10 years and even with Gravely changes still have 1/3 left. I'm tempted to buy another before obsolete and probably won't need any more. Keeps a lid on stacking bottles and stuff....
          I'll call today and see how much it is, I saw the large containers of gear oil at Autozone, but I wasn't going to pay that for something I wasn't sure I should get.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bud View Post
            Most of the GL4 oils with the exception of Sta Lube are of the synthetic variety and can be used in manual transmissions. You need a GL5 lube in the differential as the differential uses hypoid gears. The use of a lube rated for limited slip differentials can be used in a non positraction differential, it won't hurt anything except your wallet. NAPA still sells a GL1 lube, but usually has to order it if that is what you want to use. Also keep in mind that you can use an SAE 40 or 50 engine oil in your transmission as they are an acceptable substitute. Bud
            I'll ask about the straight 50Wt. Do I need to ask if that's non detergent?

            Comment


            • #7
              So, to try to get this straight... Straight 40wt or 50wt or GL-1 in both trans and diff OR GL-4/5 in the trans and GL-5 in the diff?

              Comment


              • #8
                GL-1 in transmissions or the acceptable engine oils, period. GL-4 or 5 in differentials, NOT in transmissions.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  GL-1 in transmissions or the acceptable engine oils, period. GL-4 or 5 in differentials, NOT in transmissions.
                  That'll work. Thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well! How about that? Our local CAL Ranch store only carries GL-4 and -5 apparently. Same with the 2 Tractor Supply stores. I'll go to NAPA and hope to get it there, or at least the straight weight oil.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      NAPA should be able to order the GL-1. Someone may correct me, but for yellow metal trannys (O.D.) I was always advised "Non"-detergent 40wt (50wt - Harley's ?).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I used NAPA 90 WT mineral oil in my T-9. Shifted great. Part #65-201. About $13/gal.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-20_00090.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1700970
                        Last edited by sasquatch; 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM. Reason: Fix double entry.
                        Rick
                        Kingman, AZ

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Awesome, I need to be able to have this in my back pocket in case the counter person is FLAPS level and not NAPA level, as I've run across locally lately.

                          What do you put in the differential?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You almost had it right in your Post #7, GL5 Hypoid Oil in the Differential.

                            If you notice Rick's Picture of the NAPA bottle says: GL1 right on the front, THAT is what is important about the Standard TRANSMISSION Oil.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                              Awesome, I need to be able to have this in my back pocket in case the counter person is FLAPS level and not NAPA level, as I've run across locally lately.

                              What do you put in the differential?
                              Differential was full and I never got around to draining and refilling it.
                              Rick
                              Kingman, AZ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X