Looking for opinions on Avanti gas tank options new or renew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
    I had the tank in my 76 Avanti II redone by a local radiator shop 4 years ago. There were no leaks, but he said the spot welds for the baffles were thin and he soldered over the spot welds, around 40 of them. With the tank flush, coating and soldering, it was around $150.00. Doing the tank treatment and sealing the inside of the cabin with fat mat eliminated a faint gas smell that was in the cabin.
    Wish I could find a radiator shop!! After speaking with some old timers, it sounds like the EPA went through the Delmarva area ( Delaware, Maryland, Virginia peninsula) about 10 years ago, and shut every one down with any kind of "boiling" tank that they used to boil out gas tanks and radiators.

Comment

Contact Cap-A-Radiator, 566 Fulton Street, Farmingdale, LI 11735 516- 293-9026 Speak to Bill Carberry. Bill is an old time shop who does it all......and I mean like you walked into a radiator shop in the 50's......also does heater cores on all cars......
      Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
      Wish I could find a radiator shop!! After speaking with some old timers, it sounds like the EPA went through the Delmarva area ( Delaware, Maryland, Virginia peninsula) about 10 years ago, and shut every one down with any kind of "boiling" tank that they used to boil out gas tanks and radiators.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        Contact Cap-A-Radiator, 566 Fulton Street, Farmingdale, LI 11735 516- 293-9026 Speak to Bill Carberry. Bill is an old time shop who does it all......and I mean like you walked into a radiator shop in the 50's......also does heater cores on all cars......
        Yikes-graduated from Farmingdale HS, daughter now lives in Setauket, might be viable option--only a 5 hour drive, but if I can figure out a way to transport it while visiting-might work-thanks

Comment

I have made two tanks in the past.
          I unpicked the end plates and baffles from my rusty tank and got a sheetmetal shop to roll some metal based on the shape of the end plate.
          The end plates and baffles were still ok so I welded it all up, added the fittings and filler pipe and it was done.
          Once finished I sealed the tanks, as described in an earlier post. The first tank cost about $170 with the sealer being the biggest cost and the other tank cost about $250. They were done about 6 years or more apart hence the price difference.
          If liability is a problem tell them the tank holds water.
          pb

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
            I have made two tanks in the past.
            I unpicked the end plates and baffles from my rusty tank and got a sheetmetal shop to roll some metal based on the shape of the end plate.
            The end plates and baffles were still ok so I welded it all up, added the fittings and filler pipe and it was done.
            Once finished I sealed the tanks, as described in an earlier post. The first tank cost about $170 with the sealer being the biggest cost and the other tank cost about $250. They were done about 6 years or more apart hence the price difference.
            If liability is a problem tell them the tank holds water.
            pb
            I thought about it, but my welding ability and equipment won't allow. Just finished up another bore scope visit to the interior of the tank- too much blistering going on of the galvanizing--so will start saving for a tank. Better to spend $600.00 and start new than $450.00 and try to make it "work" with a reseal.

Comment

Just got a call back from the nearest "Renu" franchise, says about $750.00 due to the two baffles!! But, it does come with a "lifetime" guaranty!! I'm thinking aluminum is good enough for my "lifetime" and something I can actually afford. Anyone want an old Avanti tank to play with??

Comment

Just got a call back from the nearest "Renu" franchise, says about $750.00 due to the two baffles!! But, it does come with a "lifetime" guaranty!! I'm thinking aluminum is good enough for my "lifetime" and something I can actually afford. Anyone want an old Avanti tank to play with??
                What would it take to get it to Michigan if no one else speaks up?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  What would it take to get it to Michigan if no one else speaks up?
                  Don't know, when I pull it so I can weigh it I'll check with Fed-ex Ground, probably $50-75.00 ??!! best guess.

Comment

Don't know, when I pull it so I can weigh it I'll check with Fed-ex Ground, probably $50-75.00 ??!! best guess.
                    If nobody else has a need for it after a couple of days, I'll take it to play with. Hate to see it go to waste. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X