1954 grille and taillight housings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1954 grille and taillight housings

I want to have my 1954 hdtp grille surround and grille rechromed and was wondering how to remove and replace the "studebaker and champion" lettering. Also any good chromer references. I live in southeast wis. Also is the inside of the surrounds should be painted after the chroming? Also looking for 54-55 hdtp taillight housings. Thanks

Easy, just cut the rivets off of the Champion & Studebaker nameplates, save them for wall hangings, get the Grille Bars replated and clip NEW Nameplates on after they are done.
    No worries about Paint etc.

Yes the inside of the Grille Mouldings get Silver Paint inside after Plating.

Good used 1954, plate-able Tail Light Housings are hard to find, if you don't care about perfect Original, NEW '55-'56 C & K Housings have been used to replace them.

SDC Members receiving "Turning Wheels" monthly Newsletter know that these New Parts are available at: http://studebakervendors.com
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just had my 54 grills replated the Studebaker - Champion name plates were too badly pitted to plate so I purchased new ones from SI. Yes they do have to be ground off as they are riveted, I wouldn't be too much of a hurry to turn them into wall art, the original name plates can be reattached with a compatable epoxy adhesive. The remaining rivet stub scan be left in place for alignment. If this is all too fiddly then replace them for about $100. For some additional definition you can paint red inside the Studebaker - Champion lettering, this is a good rainy night project. Some models have gold painted inside the lettering, your choice -- cheers

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
        I just had my 54 grills replated the Studebaker - Champion name plates were too badly pitted to plate so I purchased new ones from SI. Yes they do have to be ground off as they are riveted, I wouldn't be too much of a hurry to turn them into wall art, the original name plates can be reattached with a compatable epoxy adhesive. The remaining rivet stub scan be left in place for alignment. If this is all too fiddly then replace them for about $100. For some additional definition you can paint red inside the Studebaker - Champion lettering, this is a good rainy night project. Some models have gold painted inside the lettering, your choice -- cheers
        I had to check on my memory on this. I went down two flights (and back up) to look at original parts, I looked in Bridges' book and I looked in the SI catalog. They all agree with my memory that the inside of the lettering should be painted white (not "red" or "gold").
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I had to check on my memory on this. I went down two flights (and back up) to look at original parts, I looked in Bridges' book and I looked in the SI catalog. They all agree with my memory that the inside of the lettering should be painted white (not "red" or "gold").
          I am sorry to have put you through all that stress, yes the factory ones are painted white, however for some added definition red or gold was only a suggestion. The red was proposed to me from the chrome plating shop just for some added definition, but WHITE is original.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. I will probably go with white.

Comment

Also looking for 54-55 hdtp taillight housings.

I have two NOS 1954 hdtp taillight housings in original Studebaker cartons, with lenses. I also have NOS parking/turn signal lenses.

Comment

Would you be able to call or e-mail me? Steve

Comment

Yes, I can call you.
                  W.

Comment

Working...
                  X