Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Commander DG-200 Trans. slipping

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transmission / Overdrive: 1955 Commander DG-200 Trans. slipping

    I have an early 1955 Commander (Sept 1954 build) with a 224 engine. I had the trans. taken out of the car and rebuilt three years ago. The rebuilder is local and had a mechanic (who is retired now) who knew how to rebuild Three Band Borg-Warner transmissions. He used a Borg-Warner 3BBW-OHS Overhaul Kit. He replaced the Forward Band, Low Drum Pressure Plate, Reverse Sprag, Rear Sun Gear Assembly, Pump Stator and the Yoke. I finally got around to installing the transmission last week. I filled the trans. with 5 qts. of Valvoline Max-Life Dex-Merc ATF. I started the engine and added the rest of the ATF to the full mark. I let the car warm up as I shifted from Park,Neutral, Drive, Low and Reverse at idle. The car moves OK in Low and Reverse. When I put it in Drive the car hardly moves. It seems the trans. is slipping a lot in Drive. I drove it up and down the driveway a few times (Not wanting to go on the road and break down) When I put the trans in Low, it goes OK until I hit the brake then there is a sudden clunk when it slows down. I hope the problem is just a band adjustment. The transmission was warrantied for 1 year and its now three years even though I never used it. After all this rebuilding on the old Stude, I hope the trans. will be OK. The manual states the band can be adjusted, without the J-tool by loosening the lock nut, snugging up the adjustment screw with a 5" wrench and backing off 4 full turns. I read a couple of threads about other members backing the screw off 2 to 3 turns. I don't want do the wrong thing and really mess things up. The engine has 96,000 mi. and runs perfect and burns no oil. What should I do? Thank You

  • #2
    How much fluid did you finally end up putting into it? It should be more than eight quarts. Do not overfill.
    Are you checking it while running in Low gear (you should be)?
    If you didn't get more than eight quarts in to bring it up to full, you may still have some air trapped in the system (or you are checking it incorrectly), especially since it was empty for so long.
    A band adjustment would be the next thing to do.
    You have a 1953, but mention a 1955 transmission. If it is a 1955, it is probably not a DG-200, as the 1953 would have, but may be a DG-250. This does not matter related to your problem or what I posted above.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #3
      If this is your first fill after a rebuild when you started the engine most of your oil got pumped into the converter which I'am sure was empty also. Start the engine fill to the full mark, let the engine warm up shift though all the gears and check again with engine running.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        If this is your first fill after a rebuild when you started the engine most of your oil got pumped into the converter which I'am sure was empty also. Start the engine fill to the full mark, let the engine warm up shift though all the gears and check again with engine running.
        On these transmissions, check while in LOW gear, not just running.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #5
          DG-200 Slipping

          Originally posted by studegary View Post
          How much fluid did you finally end up putting into it? It should be more than eight quarts. Do not overfill.
          Are you checking it while running in Low gear (you should be)?
          If you didn't get more than eight quarts in to bring it up to full, you may still have some air trapped in the system (or you are checking it incorrectly), especially since it was empty for so long.
          A band adjustment would be the next thing to do.
          You have a 1953, but mention a 1955 transmission. If it is a 1955, it is probably not a DG-200, as the 1953 would have, but may be a DG-250. This does not matter related to your problem or what I posted above.
          I have a 1955 Stude not a 1953. I put 9 quarts of ATF in. I checked the fluid when warm and transmission in Low. The trans. is full according to the dipstick. I still have a slipping in Drive. I guess I'll have to adjust the Drive band. Snug it up and back off 4 full turns.

          Comment


          • #6
            Very likely there is nothing wrong with the overhaul or band adjustments. Quite possibly it is low fluid pressure due to mis-adjusted throttle valve linkage. That's the smaller rod that runs down to the side of the trans. Do you have a manual to refer to?
            "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

            Comment


            • #7
              Slipping transmission

              Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              Very likely there is nothing wrong with the overhaul or band adjustments. Quite possibly it is low fluid pressure due to mis-adjusted throttle valve linkage. That's the smaller rod that runs down to the side of the trans. Do you have a manual to refer to?
              OK, Dwain, I never thought about that. I have a 1955 Manual. I'll look and see what adjustments are. I took the rod off and didn't think I disturbed the original setting. I'll give it a try. Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Since you said that reverse is OK, I doubt that problem is fluid level. Low fluid level virtually always shows up first in these when the trans won't move the car in reverse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  First check fluid level with a helper select manual low check fluid level. If you want to adjust bands front band (reverse) torque to 45 INCH pounds back off 4 turns.
                  for the center and rear bands torque to 45 INCH pounds and back off 3 turns. Secure the lock nuts and torque to 40 FOOT pounds. Lou Cote

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X