Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

four speed bell housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• four speed bell housing

can anyone tell me what bell housing i need to install a t-10 trans up to a 57 stude 289 or other V8. will any V8 work, or can i use one from a three speed trans ?. also what T-10 should i be looking for ?. someone told me there are two types, ford and chevy, both of which fit stude but have different ratios and shafts. thanks for any help. skip.

hi skip,
    i am working on this conversion too. there are 4 speed studebaker bellhousings you would need. the early 4 speed housing has a chevy t-10 pattern only the 61's had these. the rest had the Ford t-10 pattern. I have been told one of our members makes an adapter to bolt the t-10 up to a 3 spd housing which is from what i am told different yet. i am borrowing a broken bellhousing for the ford t-10 from a friend to figure out all the differences from the 3 to 4. on the ration there are close ratio and wide ratio t-10's out there most drag racers tend to lean toward a close ratio but i know a few that like the wide ratio for a lower first gear. either will work well. there are several splined shafts on the t-10 over the years. here is a t-10 link http://1bad6t.com/trans.html it has several links on its page too maybe they will help some. and if anyone reading this has a 4 speed bellhousing skip and i both could use one.

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

61 and 62 years both have the Chevy type bolt pattern on the T-10. 63 and 64 have the Ford bolt pattern.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Even though a Stude T10 has a Ford or Chevy bolt pattern, the input shaft is different than a Ford or Chevy. If you buy a Ford or Chevy trans, you'll have to find a Stude input shaft (not too common).

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Or do what Tom (SBCA) did...and make up a differrent crank bearing or a different bearing adapter to input shaft.
          Splines are no big deal, any disc can be used (correct dia.!), just the nose of the shaft is a concern.

Mike

Comment

I am working on putting a four t-10 in a 59 lark the bellhousing usig the t-89 will fit the ford type t-10 ,the biggest problem is the pivot end for the clutch pedal. I am making one in a few days ,if your trans now has the overdrive you will need a driveshaft approx 6.25" longerif it has the long tail shaft . e-mail if you need help,I think in 57 the borgwarner three speeds had a short tailshaft.I can measure the four speed if you need it. I also have a hawk pivot point I can measure it also or sent a picture thur e-mail i can't get pictures into the forum yet.Joe

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
            1960 conv
            SDC member since 1972
            1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
            1960 conv R2 auto
            SDC member since 1972
            http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

FWIW, a suggestion based on the experience of doing it everyway which-way possible. To save your sanity and your pocketbook:

BUY A COMPLETE STUDEBAKER T1O SETUP!

Trying to piece together a T10 conversion from brand-X parts, trying to make different years and parts fit, will usually end up costing more, often takes ten time longer and sometimes won't work as well in the end. The only exception; the OEM Studebaker shifter was junk. Find a Hurst.

A local CASO friend was put off by the $500 asking price of a complete Studebaker T10 conversion. "Why, I can get this GM T10 for $150, rebuild it and use junkyard parts for the rest." The rebuild ended up costing $250, the hard-to-find '61-early 62 bellhousing was $150, the clutch pedal and linkage $50, flywheel, GM clutch disc, pressure plate and extended pilot bearing another $150, speedometer cable $25, driveshaft $100. I stopped asking how it was going after six months. To make matters worse, the guy who bought the complete conversion was driving his car at the next monthly meeting.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Good Idea, Packardv8. Now, if I can just get the name and address of the people selling complete T-10 setups for $500. I'll just ship them a check, and they can have it sent to me by next weekend.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Hi, Wally,

Let's hear from JDP and others in the trade; what is a complete T10 conversion worth today? I was just offered a '61-62 bellhousing only for $250.

Suggest asking around locally and regionally and be patient. There might not be one for sale this week, but it will come along. Acknowleged, by the time a complete conversion gets on eBay, it might go for more. However, there are several on this list, including myself, who have paid less than $500 for a complete T10 equipped car. Whatever you have to pay for the complete setup, doing it one piece at a time will have the drawbacks mentioned.

Good hunting,

jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

Don't know if anyone is interested in a trade but I have an early chev pattern T10 with the 2.54 low gear that I would like to trade for a 2.20 first box. I need the 2.20 box for a restoration project.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skip
                      what would be a good three speed with first syncro to put behind it
                      Studebaker never offered a 1st gear synchro 3 speed (unfortunately).

<h5>Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA</h5>

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

ok sounds like fun. not. well then if i have a V8 bell housing, what would be a good three speed with first syncro to put behind it for a good operating hot rod feel, with floor shift? . thanks everyone for your input. skip.

Comment

youve got to be kidding. not even in the sixties ?. i had a 64 commander with a six cyl.i could have sworn it had first gear syncro. skip.

Comment

dont let em scare ya skip if you want a 4spd make it happen. its all work able problems. pessimist every where i think its contagious.

Erin Hays
                            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                            RZRECTD
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Lark
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

$500-4700 is pretty much the going rate, I just don't have any left to sell. I have the transmissions and bell housings, but not the rest.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,439.30
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              52 Starliner
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment