Muffler recommendations for '54 "hot rod" coupe with '62 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Muffler recommendations for '54 "hot rod" coupe with '62 289

Earlier this year I started a thread about an engine swap of a '62 289 into my '54 Starlight coupe. Well the "new" engine is now in place. See picture (the air cleaner will be replaced with a cast aluminum Offenhauser bonnet connected to the original '54 dry element air cleaner). The car will have dual exhausts exiting under the rear bumper. I have the new pipes from Parks Pipes. I would like to install mufflers that will make it sound like a hot rod without overly antagonizing the neighbors. The pipes are 2" inlet and outlet. Can anyone recommend mufflers that will really sound good?

Thanks,

Pete
    Attached Files
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

We don' need no stinkin muffler!

Comment

Set of Spin-tec's would sound nice.

Comment

My 52 has duals, but didn't install them so I'm no help. Your engine is nice.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I bought a pair of the Dynomax, "Super Turbo" mufflers for my (hopefully) soon to be daily driver 54 wagon.
          http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers
          I bought these for the same reason you mention...good performance while not waking the dead.

Mike

Comment

I have tried an AeroTurbine muffler:
            http://www.aeroexhaust.com/mufflers/...ium-sound.html
            with satisfaction. A bit spendy, but it will muffle a Mazda Rotary without burning out, and that's saying something! It will last, has nil back pressure, sounds good, and is pretty small for what it does.

Comment

I've got Flowmasters on mine with 2-1/2 inch pipes. Makes it sound big. I love the music it makes.
              sals54

Comment

Youtube is your resource. Look up the mufflers you're considering and search for videos of people running their cars simply to hear the sound whatever muffler they have makes.

Comment

what are you looking to spend?
                  Spintec sounds awesome but is HIGH dollar. Flowmaster 40 series is a 2 chamber design and sounds nearly the same but cheaper. Flowmaster 10 series is a one chamber design so its louder.
                  There are tons of Flowmaster 40 and 10 series copies out there for CHEAP and I cant honestly find anything wrong with them.
                  Jones Exhaust Full Boar has copies and there are plenty of people running them
                  This is a Single chamber "10 series" design
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/311411841325...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They also have a round 2 chamber design that I am wanting to try.
                  It kinda looks like a glass pack but is a chambered muffler.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161682539784...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Summit brand also has the 2 chambered flowmaster design for 30 bucks per muffler.
                  I just cant see paying 90 bucks each for flowmasters when you can get the same thing for a fraction of the price.

Comment

I have Flowmaster Performance mufflers on my 77 Cutlass, 350 with 2" pipes. Very mellow with a nice rumble when you get on it.

Comment

Mufflers? Weee don' need no Steenkin mufflers....

Comment

Nothing wrong with the old glass packs, either. And they aren't too fat, so it's easy to find room for them.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I like the DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers. Nice and quiet low rumble at idle and "normal" driving. Have a good cackle when you get in it and start pushing the RPM.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

One word, need not look any where else. "Smithy's"

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                              Mufflers? Weee don' need no Steenkin mufflers....
                              Bet! Stuff in a steel sink scrubber lodged behind a bolt to keep it in place for the po-po.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked the sound of the Jones mufflers, I have to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X