Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine & Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine & Trans

I have been having Overdrive problems with my 6 cly 57 Silver Hawk, mind you I have driven it 58,000 miles Now I'm on my second trany, and it has gone again. So I am looking at at a swap 92 Chev 305 complete with auto trans complete wiring etc. Any suggestions? Would be much appreciated by this cool dude that knows nothing about this.
    Evan Severson

Originally posted by 57studesilverhawk View Post
    I have been having Overdrive problems with my 6 cly 57 Silver Hawk, mind you I have driven it 58,000 miles Now I'm on my second trany, and it has gone again. So I am looking at at a swap 92 Chev 305 complete with auto trans complete wiring etc. Any suggestions? Would be much appreciated by this cool dude that knows nothing about this.
    Well... I could tell you what I did but it's all been documented here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Modifications

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05623.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1700600Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05379.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1700601

I have a '59 Silver Hawk (350 Chevy/700R4) and used a non-electronic transmission. I never did like the electronic converter because it hunts/searches sometimes. Also the lock up converter only gives you 1-2 more MPG. But you should build what you want/like although many members will tell you to leave it all original. You didn't say, but I imagine you're going with an overdrive trans???

Treblig

Comment

Yes I want an overdrive transmission, I converted the old 6 cly engine to a brand new Cathcart engine twin carbs electronic egnition, duel exhaust different cam, a stage 4, extra 50 HP. nice engine , but now two many trans problems, and I plan on taking it to the next annual meet. Cathcart did have an adaptor plate available when I got the engine but I stuck with the Stude trans , now I wish I had put in the S10 trany.
      Evan Severson

Comment

When you changed to a high horsepower engine did you also change the light duty 6 cylinder tranny?

I'd guess not, and maybe all you need is the heavier duty stick tranny.

Comment

I wouldn't think a hopped up Champion engine would be THAT hard on a T-96. What type of failures did you experience?

I also wouldn't think think that redesigning the car would be more straightforward/easy/simple than figuring out why the transmissions failed.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I agree with Roy. Unless the transmission was already worn out when install or if it was treated roughly, it should not fail so quickly. What type of failure have you had?
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

The issue is lacking info.... You state overdrive problems, then mention 2 failed transmissions. Which is it ? OD problems, straight 3 sp problems, or both ??? The only way I see 2 trannys being toast is the pedals' pusher...

Comment

Each time I have lost the over drive portion, I still have had first ,second & third gear but no overdrive. I had the system rebuilt several years ago, and every thing worked well . No it is not being pushed hard. But since that trany rebild I have driven it 15,000 miles. I was going to take it to St Louis for the Annual, but something was nagging not to , and I'm glad I did not, as I would have only made it into North Dakota.
                Evan Severson

Comment

So you just had a loose wire, blown fuse, wet with oil and bad seals, Solenoid, burned out Solenoid or WHAT?

No Overdrive shift in O.D. Mode freewheeling only, is most always a non-functioning SOLENOID for whatever reason in 90% of cases. No need to discard the entire Trans.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X