Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

NOS Body Panels - Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: NOS Body Panels - Primer

Has anyone ever primer/painted over NOS body panels from (at the time) SASCO? Just wondering what the factory may have used and whether I need to take these panels down to bare metal or if I can cover with a modern primer?

I sand them with 220 sandpaper then prime, sand the primer with 400 then color coat.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks Warren. What primer did you use?

Comment

I purchased a pair of NOS 39 Ford fenders at Hershey many moons back. When I got them home, I sanded most of the primer off and found a fair amount small rust pits on one. Took it off and reprimed them. Glad I did because I put a lot of time and effort into the paint on that car.

Bob

Comment

NOS panels from back then would have had a primer that is not up to todays standards. I would take it down to bare metal and start with a fresh epoxy primer.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I agree, and also maybe an etching primer for the bare Steel.
            Originally posted by wdills View Post
            NOS panels from back then would have had a primer that is not up to todays standards. I would take it down to bare metal and start with a fresh epoxy primer.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I believe that the black coating on NOS fenders was all that was used as a primer on the production line, at least during the 60's. In 1960 the inner fenders were never even painted. They were just left to rust as the climate would dictate. I've seen numerous incidents where rust magically appeared as little squiggly rust worms coming through the top coat, years after the car was built. My guess is that it was a function of many factors but how fresh the body panel was when it was painted seems to be the major culprit. In other words how long it sat around before it was painted as part of the completed car. If the rust worms have not appeared during the last fifty five years you are probably OK, but the most fail safe is to remove it, etch, primer and top coat.

Comment

Self etch primer is needed if you have very slick metal that hasn't been sanded or blasted. If your metal has a good tooth from sandblasting or sanding with 80 grit paper your are better off with epoxy primer. It does a better job of sealing and protecting the metal. I personally sandblast all my fresh new replacement panels and then prime in epoxy.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X