Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

How does overdrive cable connect to overdrive lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: How does overdrive cable connect to overdrive lever?

I recently found that a previous owner removed the overdrive control handle, cable, bracket, and swivels from my '54 Commander. With the help of eBay and Jon Meyer, I've gathered the parts to reinstall the overdrive cable assembly. But, looking at the swivel that goes on the overdrive lever and the end of my cable, I'm not sure how the cable should attach. I've posted pictures of my cable and the other parts. How does the cable attach to the lever on the overdrive unit with the parts I have? Or am I still missing something?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

With the correct "swivel" assembly, the bolt has a hole in it. Then as the nut is tightened, two slightly heavy flat washers pinch the wire between them, thus locking the wire to the swivel.
    Also, as I recall, the bolt is not fully threaded like a normal cap screw is.

I may still have one from my wagon. I'll look over the weekend.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike. When I received the bolt-like swivel, I immediately looked to see if it was drilled, because I thought it might work that way, but found no hole. I have a small drill press and could probably drill the bolt I have. I assume the hole would be about a washer's thickness away from the underside of the head of the bolt?
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA

Comment

I have that exact assembly on the floor in my garage. The bolt is drilled as close to the head as possible then the od cable is inserted in the hole there is no additional washer the cable tightens up against the swivel on the other side a flat washer, a lock washer and nut. When it all pinches together tight the swivel should be free to move. There should not be any kinks or bends in the wire cable. The other clasp bolts to a rear bolt on the transmission where the brass crimp goes through and tightens up with the locking bolt and locking nut. The swivel goes through the shift lever from the out side. It is much easier to feed the cable through the hole first then insert the assembly in to the shift lever. Make sure the swivel unit is free to swivel, bolt it up tight first an make it swivels freely.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Altair for all the help. I think that solves my problem. I should be able to get it installed properly.
          Pete R
          Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Working...
          X