Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head gasket (what cement to use & where to use on gasket ??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    WHO, in their right mind, would do something like that?!

Well, it is an election year, you know.
    Everyone has lost their minds...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The RTV pictures reminded me of an incident many years ago. We had a guy who said he was a mechanic at the transit mix company I worked at. The boss told him to put the motor back together on an old road grader. The motor was an old three cylinder Detroit Diesel and this guy was going around asking us where he could find cardboard to make a head gasket. Shortly after that he became a truck driver.

Comment

Yeah, on a Very High Compression Detroit Diesel, THAT should work!

When I bought my '62 Transtar 1 Ton with a 289, I found some idiot had used the "Magic" Blue Silicone on the EXHAUST Manifold Gaskets!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Love it........that's another good picture for my "hall of shame" mechanics pictures.

In the 80's I worked at a dealership with another guy that called himself a mechanic. He put together a straight 8 Buick engine without marking any of the rod caps, and needless to say, the engine was locked tight. In the 60's I bought a Chevy 265 engine and overdrive from a Ford "mechanic" at the local Ford dealership. It was supposed to be rebuilt, but I took it apart to check, and found all 8 pistons were in the wrong holes from what they were marked, and 5 of the pistons were facing backwards.

Comment

To answer the OP question, I use Copper Spray in both sides of the gaskets...

Comment

Thanks for bringing it back on topic. Now I will take it right back off. I wonder how that thing Jeff posted cooled?
              Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              To answer the OP question, I use Copper Spray in both sides of the gaskets...
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

And now back on, I used both Copper Cote and I've used aluminum paint, no problems with either.
                Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                Thanks for bringing it back on topic. Now I will take it right back off. I wonder how that thing Jeff posted cooled?
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Copper coat spray stays gooey till engine heat sets it so gives you time to get everything lined up as hea head goes on it'll like cooking a fried egg in a Teflon pan that way I love copper spray ! Getting out the copper spray It also means your changing an engine head ,which means you are having Fun too

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    RTV Silicone gasket maker.....
                    Buy it.
                    Use it.
                    Love it.

That looks REALLY bad....but....did it blow out?

Comment

Working...
                    X