Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Speedomedter cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: Speedomedter cable question

I just received the new 18 tooth pinion for my 50 champion and have an odd problem. After I installed it the speedometer did not move. Put the 17 tooth back in, works ok. I found with the new pinion it turns the shaft and speedometer ok until it's about 1/8 inch from full into the housing end but when pushed all the way in it turns free, the cable is no longer engaged. If I pull it out about 1/8 inch it again turns the cable. My question is can the cable core be too long? It looks like the core is maybe 1/8 to 1/4 too long and the square end is going in past the square section of the pinion. I have measured the hole in the pinion at about 1 in deep but the square part of the hole is only the first 3/8 inch. Does this make any sense?

Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

When I removed the core found the square end looked like it had been formed by hand, maybe from a longer cable. It was too small and when pushed al the way into the pinion gear it would not hold, just spun inside the gear. I took one from one of the Land Cruiser donor, it fits and all is well. You never know what you will find when you buy a 65 year car.

BTW the 18 tooth gear put the speedometer less then 1 mph high at 60 with 205/75 tires. It had been almost 9 mph High.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
    X