Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Grill Refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Grill Refinishing

I am wondering the right way to go about freshening up the grill on my 62 GT. The hood is coming off for a respray to take care of some rust and I have noticed the grill has some slight rusting. What is the best way to deal with this, paint? Is it stainless steel? Not sure if the photos show the rust very well but here they are:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080696.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	1748525Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080697.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1748526Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080698.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1748527

I've been using Turtle Wax chrome polish on my car, and it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      I've been using Turtle Wax chrome polish on my car, and it looks good.
      OK thanks... I'll try that then. Wasn't sure what the metal was so thought I'd ask!

Comment

KATO If chrome polish doesn't work try some rubbing compound. As a last resort you could sand,prime and paint a chrome sliver with a clear coat.I'am lucky as my 64 was black.

Comment

Try 0000 steel wool.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I second the 0000 steel wool. Follow with some never-dull.

Comment

It's a nickel alloy, I bet. A mild acid would remove the rust, even some CLR. If you have time, keep wiping it with Coca-Cola and the rust should go away. A new one could be prone to the same rusting. Good luck. Looks like we may get rain for IDYSD.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I'll try any or all of these suggestions while it's off the car.

Comment

[QUOTE=warrlaw1;942998]It's a nickel alloy, I bet. A mild acid would remove the rust, even some CLR. If you have time, keep wiping it with Coca-Cola and the rust should go away. A new one could be prone to the same rusting. Good luck. Looks like we may get rain for IDYSD.[/QUOTE

CLR! I hadn't thought of that, great idea especially when it's off the car! Yes, not looking good for Saturday is it. I am OK with light showers but until I get that windshield sealed up I'll have to avoid heavier rain it just pours in! Let's see what the forecast is for Sat on Fri night and make the call then?

Comment

Perfect. Bromley Automotive just called and my car is ready for pick-up. I had to get a few parts fastened down so they don't fly off at the races
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                      Perfect. Bromley Automotive just called and my car is ready for pick-up. I had to get a few parts fastened down so they don't fly off at the races
                      Yeah.. I saw it there the other day. Good idea.. don't pieces coming off as you go screaming down the track!

Comment

If you use 0000 steel wool, be sure to use a lube with it. WD40 works well. Then soap n water clean up. Then a car wax.
                        sals54

Comment

I've used some stuff called "Quick-Glo" that cleaned up the grille for my 59 wagon like new. It comes as regular & fine & has a bit of wax in it to help rust from coming back right away.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            If you use 0000 steel wool, be sure to use a lube with it. WD40 works well. Then soap n water clean up. Then a car wax.
                            I was thinking the same thing. I also spray WD-40 on al the unpainted parts in my engine compartment if I power wash my daily driver. It helps to keep corrosion away for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              Can't imagine a world without WD40! Miracle stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X