Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

WCFB needle valve / float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: WCFB needle valve / float

I am running an electric fuel pump on my car. The pressure regulator I put in has failed. The pressure at the carb went up to about 5psi and the regulator started leaking around the adjustment screw. I adjusted the pressure back down to 3psi at the carb, but now the engine does not run as smooth as it did before. Seems like it is running way to rich and loading up to the point that it will sometimes bog down until it chokes off.

The carb is a freshly rebuilt WCFB from Dave T. Is it possible that the extra 2psi could have somehow disturbed the needle valve and or float adjustments.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I would check the needle and seat for dirt stuck in there. Do you have a filter in line?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is an inline filter. I was thinking a stuck needle as well, just hoping to avoid opening up the carb.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

If blowing out the needle and seat doesn't help, a float may be sunk. Opening it up may be the only way to tell. In North Carolina you may not need some of the cold start features on these carbs. It may run better if you dry it all out (leave it open for a day) and start over.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
        X