57 Sending Unit/Gas Line Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 57 Sending Unit/Gas Line Connection

Trying to pull the sending unit on my GH to check and replace the float. Are there any special tips on getting the gas line fitting loose? Looks like it's never been removed before. Seems like you have to be a contortionist to get to it and have any leverage, have it soaking in penetrating spray now.

On my 57 Clipper I enlarged the access hole with tin snips toward front of car. Could then get wrench to remove gas line fitting. Decided this was better than laying under car trying to get needed leverage. Added benefit is dirt does not fall up into your eyes when working from trunk rather than under car. When complete made sheet metal cover and attached with screws just use caution when drilling holes for cover as to not go into tank just floor of trunk. Use tubing wrenches not open end or cresent wrench.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and mentioning the flare nut wrench, sure don't want to round that fitting off. I had considered that may be the only way to get enough access to the fitting and the opening doesn't need to be enlarged too much. What were they thinking when they designed that??

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
        Thanks for the advice and mentioning the flare nut wrench, sure don't want to round that fitting off. I had considered that may be the only way to get enough access to the fitting and the opening doesn't need to be enlarged too much. What were they thinking when they designed that??
        Special tools!

Comment

I had no trouble lying on my back with the proper wrench getting it loose. Just jack the car up high enough, set the jack stands and have at it. Mine was a 57 Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
            I had no trouble lying on my back with the proper wrench getting it loose. Just jack the car up high enough, set the jack stands and have at it. Mine was a 57 Commander.
            Tried that yesterday, got a flared nut wrench and had enough room to work. No cigar!! I think it must be cross threaded into the sending unit fitting. Even cut back the trunk opening a bit with my Dremel tool (neater than tin snips) and it just isn't budging. I guess the next step is to cut the metal line and pull the unit, then use some 5/16" rubber fuel line and clamps to reconnect everything.

Comment

Cover, Trunk, Gas Tank Access Hole

I found an inexpensive cover for the gas tank sending unit access hole in the C and K trunk. It's an electrical outlet cover that's powder-coated aluminum and comes with a foam rubber gasket. It has two round-head machine screws with it so you'll have to use two sheet metal screws instead of the original three. It's 4-⅛" diameter and fits perfectly in C & K trunks (don't know about others.) It's less than $3.00 on Amazon. It's light gray and you might have to spray paint it your trunk color. There is a statement "Suitable for Wet Locations" stamped on one side with small letters. The other side has the UL information. It's from Hipp Modern Builders Supply, Mountain View, AZ 72560, P/N C452759, via Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1707411
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Mark ,wound up doing cut n patch on 56 wagon. didn't ever get line stub loose even in vise. cleaned line with chemicals and added marine grade fuel hose connector and filter. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                  Mark ,wound up doing cut n patch on 56 wagon. didn't ever get line stub loose even in vise. cleaned line with chemicals and added marine grade fuel hose connector and filter. Luck Doofus
                  I did finally end up getting the connection loose, lots of soaking the threads and using some small lengths of PVC tubing over the wrenches for extra leverage.Still was a pain to get to even though I cut back the trunk floor to get at the fitting. The piece I cut back folds right back down into place, screw on the cover and you'd never know. Now if I could just get the threads sealed so it doesn't weep gas out when I fill up. Saw a thread on gas fitting sealer, Gasoila, think that will be the next thing I try.

Comment

Just as an aside, the "Chevs of the 40's" catalog has gas tank sending unit gaskets for $2.25 that also fit Studebakers. They fit 1931-1954 Chevrolets. I put one into my 56J.
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                    X