Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used the Wizard Cooling aluminum radiator in their '53-56?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Has anyone used the Wizard Cooling aluminum radiator in their '53-56?

http://www.wizardcooling.com/STUDEBAKER-p/60302-100.htm

Looking at upgrading my radiator and saw this on ebay - the seller is wizardcoolinginc - and was having difficulty communicating with him on eBay, so found his website. When I asked on eBay, he didn't know if it would fit a coupe or sedan, but on the website it says coupe.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and can comment on fit, finish, quality, etc.
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

While I like all the modern gizmos de-jour...
    An aluminum radiator is not as efficient as a properly functioning good old copper radiator.
    The aluminum used is thicker, so there is less surface area.
    Sure, you'll save a few pounds, but unless you are racing, that's a moot point.
    The reason for the popularity of aluminum is the cost.

I'd only consider it if my old copper radiator was wrecked/damaged/rotten, and a decent copper replacement could not be found for a reasonable price.
    But that's just me
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I was looking into an aluminum one when I thought my radiator needed a re-core. The biggest problem I found was no matter which company I tried I would have either had to modify my truck or the radiator to fit. After checking around I found a good radiator shop and they fixed my radiator without the re-core so I stayed with my copper one. Another they will never look the same as a original radiator in your car.

Comment

Since there's one, I'd guess there's others out there...
        The's a guy here in Socal that will build exactly what you want. "The Radiator Lady". It's a familly affair..! I bought one of his for my Conestoga. The "C/K" radiator that he modeled it after had a straight top tank inlet. He put the angled inlet for me for no charge.
        He buys the cores and makes the tanks himself. He uses a little thicker material because a lot of his customers want to be able to polish the tanks and don't want to..."polish" thru the aluminum or the welds.

Maybe there's someone closer to the east coast doing the same thing...

While what Jeff says is for the most part true, a core with the proper (high) quantity of fins and using a two (or three) tube core, should work fine on the street.

Mike

Comment

I agree with Jeff. But the cost is usually higher on copper. I have had aluminum one's built at Brice Thomas in Gadsden, Al . I think it may be listed also as C,G, & J. A couple of things that make some rads cool better is wider flues rather than more flues, Like 2 rows instead of three and staggering the flues, so they are not in line with each other. Maybe just me, but it works for me.

PS They answer to your question is no.
          Last edited by Flashback; 08-20-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I am running a low price Aluminum radiator with 2 ea. 1 inch tubes. It is for a 65 Mustang, fits in my radiator support instead of behind it on my M series pickup. Gives me more room. even with a condenser in front of it, it runs at 177 to 179 degrees down the road with a 180 stat, ( have digital gauge) , I also made sure no air could go around it, and have a high output water pump. That replaced a 3 row copper that stayed at 195 degrees on the road, do admit some air leaked around it, and I didn't have the high output water pump than. I am well pleased with present setup.
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Anyone have any updates on the Wizard Cooling products? The radiator is indeed shot on my '59 Silver Hawk. The Wizard people advertise a replacement for the '57-59 Silver/Golden Hawks. Yes, it's aluminum. For the 259, will the 1" core do the job? They have pricier 1.25" tubes--$100 more.
              Here's how it looks:
              https://wizardcooling.com/1957-1959-...inum-radiator/

Comment

Anyone else think about Western Auto when you read Wizard?
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I did think of Western Auto too I used a radiator manufactured by Superior Radiator in both my 53 Coupe and my 38 Chevy. made in America too.
                  https://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
                    Anyone have any updates on the Wizard Cooling products? The radiator is indeed shot on my '59 Silver Hawk. The Wizard people advertise a replacement for the '57-59 Silver/Golden Hawks. Yes, it's aluminum. For the 259, will the 1" core do the job? They have pricier 1.25" tubes--$100 more.
                    Here's how it looks:
                    https://wizardcooling.com/1957-1959-...inum-radiator/
                    That looks like a good candidate, but I'd pay the extra $100 for a 25 percent capacity increase that comes with the 1.25" tubes. Better to over cool than undercool, because you can easily adjust that with a warmer stat.

Comment

Working...
                    X