Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Lark front sway bar fit a '57 Hawk?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frame / Springs: Can a Lark front sway bar fit a '57 Hawk?

    I browsed the forum but didn't find the answer. If a Lark setup won't work, how about the sway bar on my '62 GT Hawk parts car?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    '51-'57 V8's have no improvement for "Anti-Dive", mounted only on the "A" Arms.

    That depends on the YEAR of the Lark, not for FIT they all do, it's about the QUALITY.

    The '58-Early '63 setup mounts to the Frame as well as the "A" Arms but uses wimpy "Rods" to connect.

    The BEST setup is the Late '63-'66 Lark and '63, '64 Hawk with "A" Brackets to mount to frame.

    This is all clearly pictured in the '59-'64 Stude. Chassis Parts Catalog, no need to guess.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      The chassis parts from 53 to the end, including the Avanti are "mostly" the same parts.
      While there some Stude anti-sway bars that are better than others, with the correct peripherial parts, they will all interchange.

      Something to think about, a GM (General Motors), Camaro, Chevelle, etc. front anti-sway bar is almost a bolt on also. With a bracket to the frame and weld on a coupla tabs to the control arms, you can put from a 7/8" diameter bar to a 1-1/4" diameter on your Stude.
      My 59 Lark wagon has an 1-1/8" GM bar on the front, and it'll be going (being transfered!) onto my 54 Conestoga here in the next few weeks...

      Shaped, almost...like they were made for the Stude.

      Mike

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        Something to think about, a GM (General Motors), Camaro, Chevelle, etc. front anti-sway bar is almost a bolt on also. With a bracket to the frame and weld on a coupla tabs to the control arms, you can put from a 7/8" diameter bar to a 1-1/4" diameter on your Stude.
        My 59 Lark wagon has an 1-1/8" GM bar on the front, and it'll be going (being transfered!) onto my 54 Conestoga here in the next few weeks...

        Shaped, almost...like they were made for the Stude.

        Mike
        I'm doing the same thing with my 59 wagon. The bracket to use is a 1558373. That is the bracket Rich suggested using on post #2. I obtained my sway bar from a 84 Olds Cutlass (rwd model). It is a 1" bar. The width of the brackets (center line between l & right sides) are 30 & 3/8" on the GM frame vs. 31 & 1/4" on the Stude frame, just barely a 1" difference or about 1/2" each side. Like Mike said, it's almost like they were made for us. Here is another link that describes it more. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...y+bar+question
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

        Comment


        • #5
          Visit Bob Johnstone's Studebaker website. He has info on sway bars there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the feedback. I have a Lark sway bar that I got on line. Not sure what year it is but it does have the "A" brackets. The sway bar itself is a lot thicker than the stock '57. Have the 'wimpy rods' on the 58-63 ever failed?

            My first car was a '53 Starliner I bought for $125 when I was in high school. I didn't appreciate what I had until I was much older. It was the most reliable car I ever owned. A core/freeze plug blew once, but that was it. After that I had a Lark 2dr wagon, a 50 bullenose sedan and now my '57 Silver Hawk. The engine and Flight-o-Matic have been rebuilt and I am in the process of repairing the rusty floorboards.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sounds like you have a 63-66 bar, with the desirable, later mounts. It should be 3/4" diameter, and I believe the 57 is 5/8" diameter. If that is accurate, then yes, the larger bar with the later mounts will bolt right on your 57, without any mods. It will also firm up the front suspension, especially leaning in curves.

              This is a mod I have done to every 56J I ever owned, and it definitely helps, as it will your 57.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                The chassis parts from 53 to the end, including the Avanti are "mostly" the same parts.
                While there some Stude anti-sway bars that are better than others, with the correct peripherial parts, they will all interchange.

                Something to think about, a GM (General Motors), Camaro, Chevelle, etc. front anti-sway bar is almost a bolt on also. With a bracket to the frame and weld on a coupla tabs to the control arms, you can put from a 7/8" diameter bar to a 1-1/4" diameter on your Stude.
                My 59 Lark wagon has an 1-1/8" GM bar on the front, and it'll be going (being transfered!) onto my 54 Conestoga here in the next few weeks...

                Shaped, almost...like they were made for the Stude.

                Mike
                Does anyone have any pictures of these adaptations mounted so I can get an idea - I think I have a GM mid-size sway bar here, but holding it up under my '53C doesn't seem to help me visualize it exactly....
                -------------------
                Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you go the Bob Johnstones website there are pictures of my 55 K body with a Monte Carlo 1 1/4 sway bar mounted. I used the 63 Lark mounts with a piece of square tubing welded to them. Worked great.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flat Ernie View Post
                    Does anyone have any pictures of these adaptations mounted so I can get an idea - I think I have a GM mid-size sway bar here, but holding it up under my '53C doesn't seem to help me visualize it exactly....
                    http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...tml#Suspension

                    Scroll down to the "Sway Bars" and there are a few different ways to do it but basically the same.

                    Mine is the "86 Firebird to 59 Lark" the mounts are simple to make and stronger than necessary.

                    Len

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...tml#Suspension

                      Scroll down to the "Sway Bars" and there are a few different ways to do it but basically the same.

                      Mine is the "86 Firebird to 59 Lark" the mounts are simple to make and stronger than necessary.

                      Len
                      Awesome - thanks - pictures helped perfectly!!
                      -------------------
                      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here's the one I did decades ago. Still on the Coupe and working great.
                        sals54

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was just looking at a 2005 GMC Canyon and the front bar is the same size and configuration it has the link eyes vertical instead of horizontal. This means better end links can be used. Something for further investigation.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm just getting back into Studebakering with a 1962 Daytona. When I was in high school (1970!) I drove a 1953 Champion Coupe. I upgraded the undercarriage from a Lark Cruiser I found in the local U pick junk yard. I got the front and rear sway bars and the finned 11" front brakes. I think also the rear brakes. That was a major improvement!
                            I also had a 1960 Lark VIII 2 door sedan, 3 OD. Both were great cars, but the lark VIII was more spirited.
                            I couldn't believe my good luck finding this Daytona (the 2nd I've owned). It allegedly has a Holman Moody 259 in it instead of the 289. I always doubt those kind of claims, but it is a 1960 259 with high compression heads and a Delco window distributor it idles smooth, so I doubt any fancy cam. I always liked the way a 259 runs slightly better than a 289.
                            Anyway, enough thread drift, I'm rebuilding the front suspension with new springs and disc brakes, so Sway Bars brought me to this thread. My '62 sway bars are kinda' wimpy and have the less desirable strut mounts to the frame instead of the later A frame mounts. Thanks for the tips, I'll be hunting GM intermediate front & rear sway bars, and looking for traction bars to fit with...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am using one of Thibeault's over sized front sway bars along with one of his rear sway bars on my '65 Cruiser. The car handles great, nice and flat in the turns. I really love this change on the car. I also am using his quick steering arms. This combo makes a great set uap and makes the car really fun to drive even on twisting mountain roads.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X