Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tim333
    replied
    Installed the rectangular sender today, tach works fine.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Joncon, my hopes are dashed. No can anywhere under the dash.

Leave a comment:

• joncon
    replied
    The factory tach will work with electronic ignition? I have the Pertronix in mine and was told by PO that the tach wouldn't work with it. My tach hasn't been connected since it was installed, I never tried connecting it for fear of damaging the tach or sender.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Thanks Warren.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I have the Pertronix I system in my Hawk too Tim. You'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    I have the dual point prestolite changing to pertronix 1, will the tach still work?
    Last edited by tim333; 08-14-2015, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    OK no sender no work. The only difference in the Tach heads is red numerals from 5-6000 RPM regardless of Hawk with an R2 engine, R2 super hawk package or a 289. The only difference is inside the senders. Round can dual point, square can single point. R1,R2/JTS engine should have dual point Prestolite. Thus round can type. SW didn't change the guts of the head for Studebaker depending on models, just applied different faces and supplied different senders. Get the man a round sender if he has dual points, and square one if it was modified to look like an R2 without the dual point distributor.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Thanks Joncon, can't wait til tomorrow to see if my sender is mounted there. I was told it was on the dash cross support, which it wasn't

Leave a comment:

• dleroux
    replied
    I bought the SI sending unit for my '63 Avanti R2 #2658 & out of the box it was zip. Instructions say you can mis-wire it & nothing was mis-wired. Hooked up exactly as it should & nothing. Two others verified it, same result. Lauderdale Speed rebuilt it, they also verified that the SI sender was NFG. For the price of an accurate rebuild, I might seek an alternative.
    My $0.02 worth

Leave a comment:

• joncon
    replied
    My 63 R1 Cruiser has the round sender and the red from 5000 to 6000. Unfortunately someone changed the dist. to electronic so the tach doesn't work. I'd like to change it back to points. My sender is mounted on the driver's side kick panel up high.Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1699851Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1699852

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    So Warren, is yours an R2 like mine? What's the meaning of "standard R series?" Does that include the R2?

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    My 63 R-2 Hawk has the same sending unit as pictured in post #3. On the Hawk tachs the Super Hawk had the Red band from 5000 to 6000 while the standard R- series had all white numerals like yours.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    There isn't a sender anywhere under the dash.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    This is the tach, I guess it's not a R series tach.....
    Doesn't matter, still need a sender. Somewhere I have a cube style sender that a PO bought for my Avanti, which was the wrong one. I'll try and locate it to see if that will work. I'm sure if you pull the Tach we'll be able to figure out which one you need, but you will need one. If it were me, I'd pull it, buy a replacement 0-6000 RPM SW tach and just eliminate the hassle of one, you can change the needle and face if you really want it to look original and be done.
    I found my sender, but others will have to tell you if it will work, only know it was sold by SI to PO but is wrong for the Avanti. Has marking 766E1 1F and stamped 8 cyl on side if t will work you can have it for cost of mailing, I don't need it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by karterfred88; 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    This is the tach, I guess it's not a R series tach.....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X