59 Lark 2DHTP Changed Rear Axle Dana 27 to 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 59 Lark 2DHTP Changed Rear Axle Dana 27 to 44

I finally found a Dana 44 for my Lark so I would stop tearing up rear axles. Got it installed and the 44 is 7/16" longer from the center of the axles to the face of the yoke than the Dana 27 I took out. I don't have enough inward play in the DS to allow it to telescope in and bolt up, so I am having 5/8" taken out of the DS (7/16" plus a little) to make up the difference.

Does anyone have any actual DS spec differences on the 59 Lark DS length with a 27 VS 44? I am guessing on a taxicab w/ 27 VS 44 there may show a DS length difference, so that will confirm what I'm looking at.

Any help / info would be appreciated.
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

I finally saw that your signature says Lark VIII so I could know which engine, but we have to know the Trans Type, the lengths are in the Chassis Parts Catalog.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

An old forum discussion on the change over says the total difference is more like 1.5 inches, see post #5:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-the-diference

Comment

Thanks StudeRich!

My car is a 259 V8 with the automatic trans.

I did a hard measurement across the face of the yoke of the Dana 44 and got 7/16" more than the 27. When I "eyeballed" the seal running area on the trans yoke, it looked more like 3/4" difference. I wanted to see if there was a definite difference in DS length on a given Lark of some year that showed both the 44 and the 27 wit the same wheelbase of car.

My car was originally equipped with the Dana 23 that was shelled when I bought the car 34 years ago. I installed a Dana 27 from another donor, and proceeded to blow the spiders out of that one during a power-braking episode the last day of my junior year of HS. That led to a rash of 2 more rebuilt rear diff's, none of which were done "properly", as I was learning and did not have the proper tools.

Now that I have the proper tools, more income, and many years more experience, I have the opportunity to do it right and to show my son how to break it for himself.......

My shaft is being cut TODAY, but if I come up with more hard info, I will call and have it done to a different length.

Comment

The '60V Lark all models with special order Model 44 and Automatic = 45 25/32" 1547657

All S & V '59, '60, '61, W,F,J and L Body W/Auto. Trans. & Standard Model 23 & 27
          = 46 15/32" 1547643

As you probably know, these numbers are center to center on the "U" Joint "EYES".
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM.
          StudeRich

Comment

THANK YOU!
            THANK YOU!
            THANK YOU!

That difference is 0.6875" = 11/16". I am having them cut out 0.625" (5/8") so we're within 1/16" and I will consider that being good. I could loosen the U- bolts on the rear axle to slide it back that much.

You have NO IDEA how much relief that gave me!

We are planning on driving to St. Louis this weekend. Will you be there by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
              THANK YOU!
              THANK YOU!
              THANK YOU!

That difference is 0.6875" = 11/16". I am having them cut out 0.625" (5/8") so we're within 1/16" and I will consider that being good. I could loosen the U- bolts on the rear axle to slide it back that much.

You have NO IDEA how much relief that gave me!

We are planning on driving to St. Louis this weekend. Will you be there by chance?
              No, sorry I will not. The next time if ever, it comes to the West Coast I will be there.

Unfortunately you cannot slide the Diff. back because it has a Center Guide Pin, if imperfect bothers you, just have them cut it to 45 25/32", forget how much comes off, what is important is the final length.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Well, if I am able to make it to the PNW any time, I will certainly look you up! Thanks for all the help you provide here!

How do we transfer this great wealth of knowledge to our younger generation? I am educating our 15 YO on doing all of this, as this car will one day be his. He is HOPING to drive it to the first day of school this Thursday, as all of his friends have been following his Twitter detailing our rebuilds and trials and tribulations. They are all excited to see this old car.

We have recently encountered folks at auto parts stores and even an insurance agent that had no idea what a Studebaker was. The auto parts kid asked: "Who makes the Studebaker?" The insurance agent asked: "Is a Studebaker a motorcycle?" May God help us.......

Comment

Yep, that's right; if it was not made by GM, Ford or Chrysler Corp. it must NOT exist, or it's Foreign!

I hate when they say WHAT Country is that from?

Try to buy a ordinary Battery or a Light Bulb and they have no clue!
                  StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                  X