Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Ignition switch aggravation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ignition switch aggravation

Guys - I've replaced the factory ring that grabs the posts on the ignition switch, but have had the dumb thing jump out and it's always when I'm away from home and I've reached the point where I'd rather replace the switch with something that has a screw-in retainer ring. My '63 Avanti is not a show car, so I'm not as concerned about it having that OE appearance as I am about not melting wires and starting a fire.
    Any suggestions on what might work? Thanks so much!

I had the same problem. Using the AM rings which are aluminum, not cast, they work but if you examine the "studs" on the switch itself, you will probably find some damage from the old rings that popped off by breaking the ears. I finally put in a brand new replacement switch in with undamaged "studs" and another AM ring, put a cap from a spray paint can-slotted to allow the wires to pass through over the back of the switch and it has worked since. That way if it does break again the wires don't short out to the dash frame. Part of the ring problem is, I think, the thin "nylonish" spacer that allows the light to show the switch, it can be missing or damaged. It makes the spring pushing the switch back away from the dash face much harder to compress, so if someone has been there before you, it may be missing, and that lets the switch wiggle and break the ears off. Putting a cheapo universal switch will work also, but so much of the stem sticks out off the panel, it looks homemade, and they don't last very long either. In either case the "paint cap trick" will prevent a massive short if it loosens and falls back into the dash.

Comment

I tried the screw-on replacement and found that there is no conceivable way to tighten the allen set screw that keeps the body of the switch from turning.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
        I tried the screw-on replacement and found that there is no conceivable way to tighten the allen set screw that keeps the body of the switch from turning.
        I agree, the original switch has a small locating lug that matches the slot in the dash face to keep it from turning. The screw on type either relies on that set screw or a huge amount of torque on the thin retaining nut to keep it from twisting with the key.

Comment

I purchased a '65 Daytona this Spring and the switch came lose shortly after getting it home. I put it back in a couple times but it came lose again. Then I noticed the parts book shows a spacer that was missing. I ordered a new bezel with a nylon spacer and put it all together and it has held ever since. It appears to me the spacer (which complicates putting it all together) is important because it keeps the spring from pushing the switch stud out of the notch in the dash.

Comment

Working...
          X