1947 Starlight Coupe transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Starlight Coupe transmission

I sold a friend a 1947 Starlight Coupe that does not stay in 2nd gear when the car is in compression. It shifts into gear just fine but as soon as you let off of the gas it kicks out ot 2nd gear. I thought that it was just a linkage adjustment but my friend thinks that the detent is worn and a new 2nd gear shift fork is needed.
    Any suggestions as to what to do or where a working shift fork can be found?

I have had that happen on a number of cars. The usual cause is that the teeth on the 2-3 sliding sleeve and on the second gear itself are worn, and rounded off a bit. Reverse torque causes an angled surface to press against an angled surface, which generates enough force to pop it right out of gear.

A worn detent might cause this problem, but usually it's the gear itself. Since you have to remove the transmission and tear it down to replace either, it's sort of academic, the labor involved will exceed the cost of parts.

Is the car a Champion or Commander? Different transmissions, you know. In any case, I'm pretty sure that several of the Stude vendors who link to this site can supply the necessary parts. If my guess is right, chances are there is enough wear on such parts as the bearings and cluster shaft to make their replacement advisable, too. There is also a vendor who advertises in Turning Wheels who sells complete transmissions on an exchange basis, too. This might be an option if you are looking at retail rate shop time to do the actual labor.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
    X