Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

How to drain PS unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: How to drain PS unit?

Howdy,
    I have studied the manual on my 66 Daytona and there does not seem to be any instructions on how to replace the PS fluid. I cannot find a drain plug on the reservoir. Without removing the entire pump and tipping it upside-down (that would only remove ~ 1/2 of the fluid, leaving all the fluid in the lines), is there a better way to change fluid in these units?

This is most likely the original fluid so I'd really like to change it. Thanks,
    Dangerous

You can flush it by disconnecting the return side, placing it into a container and running the engine, but you should only do that if you have someone helping to avoid running the pump dry. A gentler way is to use a suction pump and suck the chamber dry, then add more fluid, run the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. Repeat this several times until the fluid is clean and pink, 2-3 times should do it. Don't use modern PS fluid, it is not the same as the type "F" trans fluid that is recommended.

Comment

Thanks, Hawk. Good tip on the fluid since I am putting Dextron III in the new tranny and had planned to use the same in the PS, forgetting that I have not rebuild it. That would have been a mistake!

I like the pump and fill method. The real object here is to replace the additives and remove most of the really old stuff and this will work fine. Don't have a suction pump but like the old saying goes, have turkey baster, will suck.

Comment

Working...
      X