heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heating up

For my 62 lark 289 V8 It is a great tour car, but a not so great parade car. IT slowly heats up if it idels a long time. Just wondering on a cause..
    Stuff done:
    The motor has been completely rebuilt professionally.(289)
    The transmission the same.
    The radiotor recored with three cores.
    The thermostat is correct.
    A/C is in place and not working, the car has the six bladed fan all stuff is clean.
    Water pump is corrcet.
    Any ideas.

I don't think this car ever had a fan shroud.

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

Sounds like you have a nice car there!

I can't say for sure if your car came with a fan shroud or not, but most cars by 1962 had something to that effect. I think it's the lack of fan shroud that's killin' ya. It's not pulling enough air through the radiator and all the fan is doing is stirring the hot air under the hood when you're sitting still. [^] Either put a fan that has more pitch to the blades, or even better, just get a fan shroud to fit. It shouldn't be too hard to do. This works great if it's just a driver, but if it's going to be judged at a car show, i'm not sure which is correct... shroud or no shroud...

Best of luck,

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

couple things:

1) I know that you say the engine was rebuilt, but there still may be "stuff" in the cooling jackets that didn't get flushed out. Pretty much any Stude has lots of junk in there. might try flushing the cooling system, with the drain plugs removed (have to remove starter.) Messy, cold, wet, etc.

2) what condition is the fan clutch ("viscous drive") in? It might not be swinging the fan fast enough to provide good cooling. Unfortunately I am not aware of a replacement factory-style thermostatic unit, but Dave Thibeault can sell you a non-thermostatic one that will work. If the little bimetal strip has gone missing (seen that more than once) the fan clutch will not lock up when hot.

3) Water pump - check with someone who knows for sure, but I know that some of the reman water pumps were set up with incorrect impeller clearances a while back, which negatively affects flow. Dave Thibeault should be able to tell you how to pull it and check.

Dave Thibeault also sells repro fan shrouds; your car probably wasn't factory equipped with one but adding one could only help cooling.

Also check the obvious stuff like does your lower hose have an internal spring, check thermostat with a pan of hot water and candy thermometer, etc.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Hi, The motor was completely taken apart and cleaned
        There never was a viscous(sp) drive..Doesn't seem to have room for one.

David G. Nittler
        David G. Nittler

Comment

There is room for the viscous drive, but maybe they weren't used until '63. I thought that all A/C equipped cars had one but apparently not. Anyway sounds like that is not your problem.

I'd still check w/Dave re: the water pump, and also check your ignition timing.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

An auliliary electric fan might be of assistance. You can put a switch under the dash, where it can't be seen. My 62 GT came with a solid 4 blade fan, with A/C.I replaced it with a viscous drive fan. The noise went down, and it seems to help the cooling. Maybe the viscous fan clutch was not available untill '63?

Comment

Working...
            X