Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

transmission interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: transmission interchange

Does anyone know if the automatic from a 66 Cruiser with the 283 will fit a 63 Cruiser with the 289?

No it won't
    1963 transmissions are more plentiful and you can possibly trade.
    Tell us about the 1966 parts you have.
    You can also use the complete 1966 drive train in the 1963.
    The Chevybakers had a different torque converter and flywheel setup.
    You will need the 1966 rear trans support in the 1963.
    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I don't have any parts for sale. I was thinking about replacing my transmission in my 66 with a 350 turbo, and thought if I did, I'd keep my old trans. as a spare for my 63.

Comment

Wouldn't a 200-R4 be a better bet? Overdrives are really good for overall cruising.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Wouldn't a 200-R4 be a better bet? Overdrives are really good for overall cruising.
          Probably would, but I have a rebuilt 350 turbo in my storage shed.

Comment

Sounds like you will have to buy one of the Studebaker engine to Chevy transmission adapters that are on the market.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              Sounds like you will have to buy one of the Studebaker engine to Chevy transmission adapters that are on the market.
              I plan on using the 350 turbo in my 66 it has a 283 in it, so I wouldn't need an adapter. I was going to keep the transmission from my 66 to use in my 63 if it would fit. My 63 has a 289 R1 Studebaker engine in it. I'm not impressed with the 2nd gear start. It's not as noticeable in my 63 as it is in the 66, no doubt do to the difference in horsepower. I've owned over 33 Studebakers over the years, but these two are the only ones with automatic transmissions I've owned, all the others had 3 or 4 speeds.

Comment

Working...
              X