No announcement yet.

Are they the same, save for the name??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Are they the same, save for the name??

On a '63 Avanti with powershift...............is that trans a BW #8, or a BW Flashomatic 35??

Trans shop rebuilder seems mighty confused:-)

Thanks

Per the workshop manual-neither: Warner AS2-10. Perhaps that will give him a better cross reference.

Comment

Most Model eight parts will work, but the bands, and valve body are different. Shift pattern is also different.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The answer is NO, they all have their small differences.

You can bet it is not a Flash-O-Matic, that's a similar Rambler Unit.
        It is a Flight-O-Matic similar, Power Shift, also more related to a Cruise-O-Matic Ford.

Transmission Techs. that know that little about older Units, scare me a lot, I would be out the Door.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A new tech......all the old timers there retired:-(
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The answer is NO, they all have their small differences.

You can bet it is not a Flash-O-Matic, that's a similar Rambler Unit.
          It is a Flight-O-Matic similar, Power Shift, also more related to a Cruise-O-Matic Ford.

Transmission Techs. that know that little about older Units, scare me a lot, I would be out the Door.
          - - - Updated - - -

More like a FoMoCo FMX cast iron case??
          Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          Most Model eight parts will work, but the bands, and valve body are different. Shift pattern is also different.

Comment

Yes some FMX parts will work. I use ALTO red eagle racing clutches from an FMX on really hot builds. Blueprint the pumps and radius pump fluid passages, use kevlar bands, a B and M turbo 4OO hardened sprag, have the torque converter machined to up the stall speed etc. they will handle over 6OO HP when built properly.
            BUT for hard parts like the cast iron sealing rings, and servo seals, the model eight parts WILL work.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Yes some FMX parts will work. I use ALTO red eagle racing clutches from an FMX on really hot builds. Blueprint the pumps and radius pump fluid passages, use kevlar bands, a B and M turbo 4OO hardened sprag, have the torque converter machined to up the stall speed etc. they will handle over 6OO HP when built properly.
              BUT for hard parts like the cast iron sealing rings, and servo seals, the model eight parts WILL work.
              Just for the good of the order, what is a stock Powershift rebuild going for these days? How much for the performance rebuild you referenced above?

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

And, since nobody mentioned it, the Type 35 is a light-duty transmission that was used in some six-cylinder Larks, and in imports. Aluminum case.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                X