My brake lights stay on , what can I do ? 55 2 dr president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: My brake lights stay on , what can I do ? 55 2 dr president

So when I had the brake job done in 2009 , the brake lights have always styed on , When I replace the high beam switch , I notice the spring to the brake pedal was broke ,so I replace that . I bought a hydraulic brake light switch , but haven't installed it. Because the longer I think about it , the lights aren't out , so I would think the hyd switch is good ( ?) So I'm wondering if the brake pedal rides on a bearing , that's out of tolerance . Is something sloppy where the brake lever is connected to the master cylinder. The pedal ,I think ,when I pulled up on it ,went out for just LITTLE BIT. Its been along time since I pulled up on the pedal. I'm thinking of using tool dude tony idea and running a mechanical switch, but a friend said to keep it original. I need help Mike

It could be a bad fluid switch or a grounded wire somewhere.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Replace the brake switch. You already bought it and you replaced the spring, so it must be a bad switch. Have the new switch in hand and you can change them with only loosing a few drops of fluid.

Comment

Go for the brake light pressure switch cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I fought this for many years on my 59 Lark. A month ago, we installed a new master cylinder after pulling it out of the garage and not running for 14 years. I discovered that the plunger from the brake pedal had been at an angle and pushing the piston in the MC diagonally all these years, thus causing drag on the piston and my brake lights would stay on. After placing the spacers in the correct location, the piston has a nice straight travel and the brake lights go on/off as they should.

At least it's worth a check!
          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

There should be NO "pulling up on the Pedal" required, if the return spring is working correctly the Pedal will be all the way up and the Lights will be off.

If on the other hand there is insufficient Free Brake Pedal Travel or none, the air cannot bleed out and you will have pressure building up in the system and lights ON.

Also because a Pressure switch is "working" that does not mean it is also releasing, it could be stuck or clogged with rust and dirt and still needs replacement and possible Line flushing.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X