Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Gas tank float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas tank float

I'm pretty sure I'd like to replace the float on my sending unit since it works, but the float looks pretty saturated so I don't know how accurate it would be. I'd like to put in a plastic float, not the brass ones I've seen mentioned. I'm leery of trying to solder it on the wire without overheating the float, plus I don't know if regular electrical solder would even work, etc.

So if I use a plastic float can anyone recommend a chemical (gasoline) resistant adhesive I could use on the wire after I wrap it around the float?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Scott, I used a plastic float that has a hole going thru it lengthwise for the wire. It came from a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but may other cars use very similar floats. This float did not require an adhesive, just used the small metal washer that was on the Stude float originally, and peened the end of the wire in the vice to retain it. Pictures attached below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02813.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1697037
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1697036
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks, Paul. If I can find that kind of float, that looks like a good solution.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If the Studebaker parts houses don't have the plastic float, the Model A uses a nice round float that would work great.
        You could order one from Bert's in Denver. 800-321-1931 Tell Steve Tom sent you.

Comment

Scott, check with a repair shop that regularly change in-tank fuel pumps. They should have a good selection of floats on takeout pumps, most likely free for the taking.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I got a float an installed it and everything looks good! I had thought about flattening the cylindrical float I got to kind of match the original cork because I think it would make it more accurate on the full side, but I got lazy and left it alone. It will still be close enough to keep me from running our of gas (fingers crossed)!

Comment

It's been a while since I searched the internet but there are vendors that sell cork floats with modern alcohol resistant coatings that look a lot like the original floats for not a lot of money. Try a goggle search.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

That's interesting. I'm always curious and besides this may not be the last time I do this operation.

Comment

I wish I would have saved more of the plastic floats when I worked at the junk yard. I wouldn't worry about the shape being round rather than flat. The wire that sweeps the resistor will be in the same relative position for any given level of gas.

BTW, I put a cork float in my Model A over 20 years ago, and it's still working fine.

Comment

I think my cork was more or less OK, but it was pretty soaked and it took very little for little bits to come off.

Comment

If/when the subject comes up again, epoxy should work.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I've had several sending unit's professionally repaired and they come back with a float like this. I've tried to solder on the brass floats but with limited success.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                        Scott, I used a plastic float that has a hole going thru it lengthwise for the wire. It came from a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but may other cars use very similar floats. This float did not require an adhesive, just used the small metal washer that was on the Stude float originally, and peened the end of the wire in the vice to retain it. Pictures attached below.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]44164[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]44163[/ATTACH]

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                        57 SH (project)
                        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
                        X