EPAS on Buttercup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
    Jerry, I am getting ready to start on my epas project for my Champ truck. I have most things figured out. The one area I am still fuzzy on is how you attached to the original steering box. Adapting to the hollow steering shaft has me wondering what is best
    I removed the cross from the lower ujoint and welded the two halves together, making it a coupler. Then bored the bottom half out to be a slip fit onto the Stude steering shaft. Cross drilled it and installed a 5/16" grade 8 bolt and nut.

At that time, Borgeson didn't have a coupler with the correct spines. They may have them now. Check with them before you fabricoble your own.

Edit,
    Of course I'm talking about the spines on the bottom of the EPAS unit.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry
      Started the installation of my Toyota EPAS and controller today. Also the 1 3/8" shortened steering bellcrank and NOS reach rod. SHOULD be done by the end of this week ….depending on how these old bones of mine hold up. Steering is getting to be a bit of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        Besides working on the front disc brakes, I've been doing some shade tree engineering on Buttercup's steering.

Whatdya think? Am I crazy or what!

Is the large black box to the right of the steering column an air distribution device? If YES, I'd like a little more info on it if possible.

TIA

GO

Comment

Steering: EPAS Update
          Yesterday, 03:45 PM

I just picked up my Sky Hawk, after having the Toyota EPAS and shortened steering bell crank installed. WOW, what a difference...! The reduced number of turns of the steering wheel was as noticeable as the reduced steering effort. $88 for the entire EPAS system, and $400 to have it installed was money WELL spent. A BIG shout out to Jerry Forrester...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post

Is the large black box to the right of the steering column an air distribution device? If YES, I'd like a little more info on it if possible.

TIA

GO
            It is a Heat and AC W/defrost unit from Vintage Air. Called 'Super Cooler'. If pix of the install are needed, I can oblige.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              Steering: EPAS Update
              Yesterday, 03:45 PM

I just picked up my Sky Hawk, after having the Toyota EPAS and shortened steering bell crank installed. WOW, what a difference...! The reduced number of turns of the steering wheel was as noticeable as the reduced steering effort. $88 for the entire EPAS system, and $400 to have it installed was money WELL spent. A BIG shout out to Jerry Forrester...
              Glad things worked out for you Tony,
              What's the lock to lock on the steering with the 1 3/8" you took out of the bellcrank? I took 1 inch out of my bellcrank and it quickened the steering up significantly.
              I wish I could get Buttercup finished so I could see how all the mods that I made work out. Some day, maybe, some day.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I replaced the stock steering arms with the shorter Avanti arms that SI sells on my GT Hawk. Made a big difference and I'm sure it was easier than shortening the belcrank.
                Roger W. List
                Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Roger L. View Post
                  I replaced the stock steering arms with the shorter Avanti arms that SI sells on my GT Hawk. Made a big difference and I'm sure it was easier than shortening the belcrank.
                  Not really. To shorten my bell crank it cost me zero, zilch, nada dinero. Avanti arms sell for over $100 pr. I'd have to work for at least two weeks to make that kind of money. People tend to pay me what I'm worth, not what I think I'm worth.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

Not really. To shorten my bell crank it cost me zero, zilch, nada dinero. Avanti arms sell for over $100 pr. I'd have to work for at least two weeks to make that kind of money. People tend to pay me what I'm worth, not what I think I'm worth.
                    You sound like me Jerry! I just grabbed a torch and "fine tuned" my steering arms, I didn't want them as short as the Avanti units. Also cost zip, zero, zilch, nada dinero.

Comment

Would be nice with pictures of these shortenings I think...
                      Please, if there are any..?

Comment

Here is my "fine tuned" steering arm, under a stock one to show the difference. funny I didn't take any pics of the modified one alone. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_72472.jpg Views:	4 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	1806653

This is the Avanti one.
                        Click image for larger versionName:	quick steering arm.JPGViews:	0Size:	8.1 KBID:	1806654
                        Last edited by bensherb; 10-14-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I posted in the other EPAS post but apparently no one is reading that now.

What is the maximum length which needs to be removed from the steering column in order to fit the Prius unit in?

Comment

Thanx bensherb!

Comment

Working...
                            X