Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Timing cover seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Timing cover seal

For you regular engine builders. Is it a great advantage to machine the timing cover to accept a new type seal, or does the felt seal and the reverse cut on the hub work just as well? Will be going through the build process on a 289 and need to know what some of you experts think. Several years ago, I did opt for the modern seal but it has leaked since I got it running. I had to ask myself if it had been poorly machined or was it a bad idea in the first place.

I used a neophrene seal and a speedi-sleeve on my 64. It's been 10 + years and no issues.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I use a speedi-sleeve and a CR 20012 seal and have had no problems. Only time I have ever seen leaks is when the sleeve wasn't used.

Comment

I think the felt seals are great providing they are of high quality. The original Studebaker seals (purple) work the best, the Felpro ones (gray I think) work well, the Best Gasket ones (white) are poor!

Chris.

Comment

So, where can I get a speedi-sleeve and a cr 20012?
          John Brayton

Comment

Here's the Ray-Lin process

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/Tec...imingSeal.html
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by John Brayton View Post
              There are a couple of part numbers that will work but to acquire them I have found the best deal is on eBay. I picked up three of each in two separate auctions for about $20. It's just a matter of how urgent the need is as it can take some time for them to appear.

Len

Comment

Here is what we used on my Wagonaire. It has been 4 years and no leaks so far.Click image for larger version

Name:	Sleeve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1697280Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1697281

Comment

Originally posted by John Brayton View Post
                  There is a bearing and seal store about 5 miles west of me, and Paul has or can get about any speedi-sleeve, bearing and seal you'll need. It's called "CUTTER SALES" 763-425-8696.

Comment

Used a new purple felt seal and no other modifications, parts, etc., and the leak is almost as before the work. So suggest you take the various above advice.

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
                      Used a new purple felt seal and no other modifications, parts, etc., and the leak is almost as before the work. So suggest you take the various above advice.
                      When you did that, did you:

Use a dummy Hub to center the Timing Cover on the Engine before tightening the Bolts?

Very lightly apply Wheel Bearing Grease on the inside of the Felt, not saturate it with Oil?

Permatex the outer edge of the felt to the Cover?

Drill a drain hole in the bottom of the retainer Plate to drain the Oil back into the Pan?

Seal the Retainer Plate to the Cover with Silicone RTV Gasket Cement?

Install a Redi-Sleeve on the Hub to protect the Felt?

Have a good tight Engine without serious blowby?

Use the NOS, thick, Pink, Victor Felt... Check

Doing all of these tricks will stop any Oil Leaks, doing only some of them will help.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                      X