Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clutch rod bracket with T5 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Torque Converter: Clutch rod bracket with T5 conversion

This is about putting a T5 in a 53 coupe. Normally, the inside end of the clutch rod is held in place by ball joint stuck in the end of the clutch rod shaft. The ball is mounted to a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. This ball joint only holds the clutch rod from moving up and down and back and forth, not in and out. I was looking for a way to mount the ball using the extra hole in the transmission adapter plate. This was too easy.
    Bill
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch rod holder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1746967
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Really, an Eye Bolt? You are right, that IS too simple.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

For my Toploader conversion I cut the existing shaft support bracket and welded it back together so it would fit behind one of the transmission to bellhousing bolts. It fit at about the same location as you have the eye bolt but it functions as the stock one does, as it is a stock part just rearranged to fit in a different location.

If I get some time tomorrow I will take a photo and post it so you can see.

I did read, years ago, about using a pillow block bearing for supporting the end of the shaft but it would need to be a spherical type because of the independent movement of the frame and the running gear, especial the torque loading from the engine.

It look like you still have the OD cable clamp bolted to the bellhousing shaft bushing. Someone might be needing that.

Len

Comment

These are two shots, one from each side. I attached the bracket with two bolts, as the transmission also has the wide bolt pattern. This gave it more stability.

Name:	DSCN0194.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1696970Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0195.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1696971

Sorry about the quality of the photos but you can get the gist of the process.

Len

Comment

Thanks for the pix Len. I'm curious what frame you have. It looks like your clutch rod is quite a bit further back than the one in my 55 coupe.
          Bill
          http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
          sigpic

Comment

It's a 59 Lark. I have more room to play with which seems contradictory as it's a shorter wheelbase car. I guess the engine and transmission are set back further in the longer wheelbase cars.

Len

Comment

I put a modified T-45 behind my 60 Hawk's 289. I used a clutch shaft from a GT Hawk (4 spd?) because that is shorter and fabbed a new bracket using the cup from a donor stock bracket.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1697010Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1697011
              Last edited by BShaw; 05-24-2015, 12:39 PM. Reason: Add photo
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I couldn't at this point tell what shafts I used as I had some from the 59 six with T86, shafts from a 62 six, and some from a 64 V8. I had other bits and pieces and found what would clear and fit. Whatever works works.

Len

Comment

When you get tired of those ol' "L-rod" connectors bending or breaking, you might want to try something similar to this (they used to be sold by a guy named John Bill), a couple of what appear to be custom clevises--one cut at an angle to allow full travel of the lever inside it, a hardened threaded-rod, and two jam nuts. I've had this one... nearly forever. I got it after bending two NOS L-rods in two weeks on my Avanti and another about the same time on my R2 SuperHawk, the latter stranding me on the road.

This one pictured is on my 63 Avanti linkage with the threaded-rod being shortened from stock length for my LS3 installation with a '61 GT bellhousing (GM bolt-pattern) for my T-5. Sorry the pic isn't better but it's now all back together.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                    When you get tired of those ol' "L-rod" connectors bending or breaking, you might want to try something similar to this (they used to be sold by a guy named John Bill), a couple of what appear to be custom clevises--one cut at an angle to allow full travel of the lever inside it, a hardened threaded-rod, and two jam nuts. I've had this one... nearly forever. I got it after bending two NOS L-rods in two weeks on my Avanti and another about the same time on my R2 SuperHawk, the latter stranding me on the road.

This one pictured is on my 63 Avanti linkage with the threaded-rod being shortened from stock length for my LS3 installation with a '61 GT bellhousing (GM bolt-pattern) for my T-5. Sorry the pic isn't better but it's now all back together.
                    I have posted that design before with the original plans and specs. It will be one I might use as it is better tan any side loading style.

Len

Comment

Hey Skybolt- could you post this design again, or tell us where to find it? I like the clevis idea!- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                        Hey Skybolt- could you post this design again, or tell us where to find it? I like the clevis idea!- Jim
                        Here is the scan from one of Dick Datsons books. I hope it comes out well enough to read.

Name:	Clutch Rod 3.jpg
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1697098

or try one of these.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1166731...93144034360722

https://picasaweb.google.com/1166731...96940754842658

Len

Comment

Can't enlarge it enough to read it!= Jim

Comment

Here it is....

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...lutchroddd.jpg
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Very good! Thanks- Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X