Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1947 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: 1947 Champion

As we all know the shock absorbers on 47/49's are "knee action" shocks. In the 68 years of this car's existence I can assume the the shock oil has never been changed or topped off. The shop manual calls for Houdaille 1404 oil. I'm quite sure "O'Rileys" has no idea what Houdaille 1404 oil might be. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on these shocks and what oil could be used? Possibly ATF or power steering fluid? I realize the viscosity has every thing to do with the shock's performance.

A few years ago I had the same question about my old '49 2R10.
    I talked to the shock guys at Penske racing, and asked them that same question.
    They told me at the time to just use 50wt motor oil.
    I put it in that truck, and the shocks never gave me any problems.
    (Just don't hand cycle the shocks with the cap off... That oogy old black oil will really make your face look funny)
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

In the day, these were pretty regularly maintained, however little maintenance was required. Anymore, for professional rebuild, you need to turn to Apple Hydraulics.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

From an old thread: "the proper fluids from: FIVE POINTS CLASSIC. AUTO SHOCKS PH: 714-979-0451"

(not me)
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X