Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Bell Housing Cross Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame/Springs: Bell Housing Cross Member

I'm building a car using a 55 CK Frame, and a 55 engine that was an automatic. I have everything to make it a T5 standard shift. (I think) The rear motor mount on the standard shift bell housing is one big rubber on the bottom of the bell housing instead of the two rubbers used on the sides on the automatic bell housing. The cross member under the bell housing does not have any holes in the middle for the motor mount on the standard shift bell housing. Here's my question. Are the holes for mounting the standard shift motor mount in the center of the frame, or is this motor mount shifted one way or the other?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Yes the Front Engine Mount Bracket HOLES move the Engine to the Right to clear the Steering Gear on LHC Cars and opposite on RHC Cars.
    So it should go the same distance to the Right as the Front Holes.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The rubber does not mount to the cross member. You need a Cage P/N 529269. Everything just floats in the cage.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_183436.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1696663

I've studied this business more. As Alan points out, I should be using an isolator and cage that fits the holes in the frame shown in the top of the attached picture. The manual says to use the left holes for a right hand drive and the right for left hand. I went looking for these two parts and although I think I found the rubber part, I did not find the cage. I visited my local Studebaker dealer and mentor this afternoon and he did not have the wide mount, but had two frame piece with holes in the center that fit the motor mounts I had. One of these motor mounts is shown in the picture without the bolts. The two holes for the narrow mount are shifted to the right for a left hand drive. I'm gonna drill out my cross member like the sample I have on loan. Someone can probably tell me what I really have.
        Bill
        sigpic

Comment

Bill; I am a little puzzled by post #4. That cage is not the right one and you talk about a narrow one and a wide one. Is the wide one you talking about the bat wing? The bat wing sits 18" farther back than the bell housing cross member and supports the door hinge area. That bat wing can be used a rear mount for a 5 speed but you will have to make a angle piece to weld to the member.

Comment

That cage is not the right one and you talk about a narrow one and a wide one.
            I was meaning the narrow rear mount that I have, and a wider mount that would fit on the two sets of wide holes on the bell housing cross member.

That bat wing can be used a rear mount for a 5 speed but you will have to make a angle piece to weld to the member.
            I was planning to just use the original front and bell housing mounts and let the transmission hang out. I've seen posts where others do this without reporting a problem.

55-58 Chassis parts book plate 01-7 shows item 0101-47, the cage and 0101-35, the insulator, pn 536314 for a 6H. I'm thinking this is it.
            533330, 536314 REAR MOTOR MOUNT FOR 1953-1958 CHAMPION AND 1953-1955 COMMANDER WITH STANDARD TRANSMISSION
            http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...roduct=engined
            If I could find a set of parts I could use them. I'm curious which model uses the cross member with the extra holes and the smaller rear mount.
            Bill
            sigpic

Comment

I like to use a 4 point mount on 53 up cars. On the bat wing mount for the back of the tranny drill holes for safety wire, bolt them down till there is no gap, but the bolts are not tight, just let it float a little. I do not like the end of the tranny to be floating around in air and if you hit a good dip that tranny moves quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
                I'm curious which model uses the cross member with the extra holes and the smaller rear mount.
                Bill
                Go here http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...t_id=3430.8631 and scroll down to p/n 1547196 - that seems to be the later mount you have.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The Narrow caged rubber mounts are for the Low H.P. 232 & 6 Cyl. '51 to '54's, the Wide mount shown in your pic is the '55 to '64 V8 Type that will need a #2 Engine Support Crossmember from a '55 and later Car or drill those early ones you have.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X