Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

heat build up in both rear hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: heat build up in both rear hubs

I have a perplexing problem in the rear end of my Champ 7E7. I just got it back on the road.
    After driving for a while both rear hubs get quite hot. You can hold them with your bare hand without having to let go, but just. The front are OK.
    I don't think it is a bearing issue. Shims were installed and a dial indicator was used to get the correct end play in the axles. New bearings are installed and packed with grease.
    I made sure the hand brake cable is releasing. It is slack.
    I thought the master cylinder relief valve might not be releasing pressure after applying the brakes. But the truck has a pressure activated brake light switch. The brake lights don't stay on.
    There are new GM 11" drums and shoes installed (the hubs were machined to use them). It looks to me like the new shoes don't have exactly the same curvature as the drums so there is a bit of drag at one end but they aren't tight.
    Should I expect them to wear in with use so the problem will diminish? Is the heat level I described damaging other components.

That has to be brakes. Something is dragging.

Comment

Hey up old guy, if you could manage to drive a ways and not use the brakes, maybe a big parking lot or lonely back road, then check brakes this would point us in the right direction. Doofus

Comment

It certainly is possible that a curvature mismatch between the shoes and drums could cause your problem -- but so could a dragging parking brake. Are you sure that they're truly releasing and not hanging up inside where you can't see it? Changing to the Chevy drums opens several possible areas for a mistake and/or misalignment.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

On a level surface can you push the Champ by hand easily? How does it roll when you coast to a stop in neutral? As long as you can keep you hand on the hub I don't think you will damage the seals or bearings, and it should wear in if it's light brake drag.

A couple years ago I installed new disc pads on my 1999 Olds, and they must have been a hair too thick because they had some serious drag. I should have sanded them down right away, but it was late winter, and I figured the cold weather would keep them from overheating until they wore in. Within 2 months I had the wheel bearings growling on both sides. Now I know better.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to figure it out and let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
              Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to figure it out and let you know what happens.
              I drove about 80 miles today, mostly highway. The hubs were merely warm not hot. By the end of the drive the problem was greatly diminished. It looks like it has taken care of itself. Oh, and it coasts a long way in neutral without feeling like the brakes are on.

Comment

Working...
              X