Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Thin/Thick Gaskets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Thin/Thick Gaskets.

I just removed the carburetor from my R2 Hawk. The gasket appeared to be about 1/4" thick. I ordered a gasket from Chuck Collins that appears to be correct but is much thinner. Can anyone explain why the difference?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Stude Factory carb gaskets on the Avanti engines were about 1/4" thick for insulation purposes....The normal 'thin' AFB gaskets are usually installed in a stack of three, which seems to accomplish the same thing.

Comment

I just picked up two of those thick, as original, gaskets from Jon Meyer at the South Bend swap Lou. So I know he has the right ones.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Either will work fine.
        Thicker gaskets allow a smaller amount of of heat transfer from the manifold to the carburetor, which is a good thing.

DO NOT stack three or four thin gaskets to make a thick version (without steel seperator plates !). You'll end up snapping a corner off of the carburetor..!

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X