Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Flightomatic selector adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Flightomatic selector adjustment

Pictured here is the selector for my 62 Lark Flightomatic. You probably think it's is in neutral, but NO! It is actually in Park! All the gears are one slot to the right, and to engage Reverse, I have to give it a pretty good tug...sometimes more than once. I have searched the shop manual CD for the adjustment, but so far have come up dry. Any help would be appreciated.

As an aside, the PO cut the light wire to the selector when he redid the interior. If/when I re-run that wire, where does it plug in at the other end?

Click image for larger version

Name:	louie selector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1746857
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

1st off -you'll need to determine if the engine cushions are oily and toast, or did the previous owner replace them all ? Once established to be good, you'll need to disconnect the selector adjustable rod down at the tranny. You then make certain that the transmission is in "D" Drive, then have someone in the driver's seat hold the gear shift handle on "D" in the indicator plate. You then loosen the 2 nuts on the threaded rod end, slide the swivel so that it fits into the tranny lever. Tighten the 2 lock nuts and test above. This procedure is definitely in the shop manual....You can run the indicator lamp wire to the light switch, or pinch it onto one of the parking light terminals(wires).....

Comment

The Instrument Lights Terminal of the Headlight Switch is where the Trans. Indicator wire goes.

I would bet that the Front and especially Rear Insulators are shot, in the wrong Hole in the Frame and or the Left Rear Mount is missing the 1/2 Inch thick, Cast Iron Spacer.

Is the Shift Rod bent?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Instrument Lights Terminal of the Headlight Switch is where the Trans. Indicator wire goes.

I would bet that the Front and especially Rear Insulators are shot, in the wrong Hole in the Frame and or the Left Rear Mount is missing the 1/2 Inch thick, Cast Iron Spacer.

Is the Shift Rod bent?
        I will check those mounts...would I see the engine move under acceleration if they are bad?
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Sure, you can usually FEEL it in the Gas Pedal and sometimes the Shift lever under Medium Hard acceleration, try LOW Gear.

But it should also be visible.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

my rear mounts are shot and my shifter is about 1/4'' to the right.
            sigpic

Comment

If you power brake the car lightly with the hood open and shift from drive to reverse I bet that engine bounces quite a bit.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment