Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: oil leak

hi I put my new licence plates on and took the car out of the garage juat to drive it around a bit as I got it Saturday. guess what, there was a big pudel of oil on the floor I'd say about a quarter of a gallon, so much for my beautiful crusier,why doesn't that happen just before you buy it. o well I guess I should hve known, shame on me.have a good night.

License plate screws were too long and punched holes in the pan.... Just kidding, of course! Maybe you could provide some information, like what year is your car, 6 or V8, where is oil coming from, front, rear or middle? Did you drive it home and if so, how far? The more info, the more likely someone can help figure it out, or give you ideas about how to troubleshoot it. Could be lots of things, maybe something simple.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
      Could be lots of things, maybe something simple.
      Like being a Studebaker. If it is not dripping then it needs oil. Although a full quart seems a little extreme. Just remember Leonard that your car is at least 50 years old. You will have some bumps in the road. But you are in the right place to get help.

Comment

Mine would leave a couple oz of brown and red. Since I repaired the tranny the red has gone except for the drain plug still leaves a drip once in a while. The engine on the other hand drips some from the rear seal, breather pipe and a bit from the gasket under the timing cover. One leak at a time.
        sigpic

Comment

a quart of oil sounds like a recent, botched pan/seal replacement.....maybe performed with engine in car......Though it can be done, and I've done it more than once..... I now pull the engine, place on stand, and replace all lower seals and expansion plugs with a good clean/flush.......

Comment

leaking '64 Cruiser

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            a quart of oil sounds like a recent, botched pan/seal replacement.....maybe performed with engine in car......Though it can be done, and I've done it more than once..... I now pull the engine, place on stand, and replace all lower seals and expansion plugs with a good clean/flush.......

Don't get discouraged!
            Mine leaked so much , the neighbour christened it the Exxon Valdez!
            It was an environmental disaster on 4 wheels.
            I ended up rebuilding engine ,trans, and power steering components.
            the parts were really reasonable, everything comes apart.
            It still drips p/s fluid but I am determined to save Mother Earth, and eliminate
            the leaks.

Comment

Three likely culprits; oil pan gaskets, rear main seal and valve cover gaskets. The latter is the easiest to fix, look for oil at the base of the cover(s) usually toward the back of the block. Be sure to use the newer neoprene gasket, not cork. Use the "search" function for recent threads on oil pan gasket and rear main seal replacement. They've been discussed many times.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

thanks for your in put,i took the car {1964 cruiser } to the neiborhood fix it place this morning,had them put on the lift,{ by the way it is a 289 v 8 }we started at the rear of the car rear end full of oil, proceded to the front trans full oil,continued on oil pan fuel pump,front of engine full of oil. the mechanic couldn't get over all the new parts on the car new break line new fuel pump new upper and lower tie rods new radiator he kept pointing out new parts,he said this car was taken good car of. I said I know that's why I bought it. any ways he suggested power wash the under carrage then bring it back and maybe we can tell were the oil leak is. sounded good to me,i'm going to try a place that steam cleans under car under carrages

Comment

the "clean" is a good idea. sometimes the screws loosen up and a wrenching - torqued to specs - will stop/slow down the leaks.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

You did not say you checked the Power Steering Pump Reservoir. It could be the P/S Hoses, you do not lose a Quart of Oil without something being low, UNLESS someone overfilled it.

That could happen on the Automatic Trans. if it was not checked, Car Level, Engine warm and running in Drive, wheels blocked, Parking Brake set. Is the Oil Brown or Red?
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-01-2015, 11:56 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

hi,iadded a quart oil to the engine it was down 1 quart,i also added a bottle of stp with stop leak,it seemed help the oil spot was not as large on the floor. in june my buddy and I will it apart hope we find the leak it could be one of the seals,i will let you guys know what it is. thanks again.

Comment

Rubber oil hose at rear of the passenger side head that feeds the oil pressure gauge. You should change it regardless if it is leaking or not. cheers jimmijim
                        Originally posted by dpson View Post
                        Three likely culprits; oil pan gaskets, rear main seal and valve cover gaskets. The latter is the easiest to fix, look for oil at the base of the cover(s) usually toward the back of the block. Be sure to use the newer neoprene gasket, not cork. Use the "search" function for recent threads on oil pan gasket and rear main seal replacement. They've been discussed many times.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My 1952 Land Cruiser had a bad habbit of the cork valve cover gasket shrinking and leaking. Your's could be such an easy fix. About 25 years ago my cousing sold his very clean rust free 55 Chevy because of an oil leak. He sold it for $75, and all that was wrong was a loose oil filter. Sure wish he'd have told me about wanting to sell it.

Comment

Back when the cars were built they all leaked. I can remember a mechanic telling my mom yes we can fix your oil leak for $X dollars but lady that will buy a lot of oil.

Comment

Working...
                            X