Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Timing gear cover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Timing gear cover question

Are the R2 timing gear covers unique and different than the standard 259 and 289s? I have one with the number 1544995 on the back side but can't find it in the parts book. Thanks

The R2 cover has a small change in the timing pointer position.
    It 'moved' the pointer down a bit so the timing light could 'see' the pointer position under the supercharger housing.

There is a steel tab 'added' to move the position.
    It used the original pointer threaded hole (and one added hole) to affix the tab.
    Other smarter guys can explain it better than I can...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

So the cover is the same but the tab is slightly different?

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
        So the cover is the same but the tab is slightly different?
        Yessir. There is a metal tab 'added' to the R2 cover, where the Std, and the R1 had just a pointer.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The tab on the R2 cover shows degrees as well - from zero to +24 as I recall

Comment

1544995 is the casting number. I have the same number on a '56 cover on the inside near the top.

Comment

The simple answer is; you either have a Pointed pointer (Std.) or you have the Degree "Plate" R1/R2), same casting number NOT a Part Number so not referenced in the Parts Catalog. Studebaker Part Numbers are rarely ON the Part.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X