56J engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56J engine question

Just got done pulling a Packard engine and trans out of a '55K.The previous owner was building a '56J clone.The serial number is S1600 which if I read right on the 56GH site is correct for a GH but with a automatic.This has a 3 spd. w/overdrive behind it.Also by the numbers the carb and distributor are correct for a '56 GH.I guess my questions are this:Is it a GH engine and should there be a automatic behind it?
    Mono mind in a stereo world

And the good book says: ..........K-1001 Starting Serial Number for 56J with Overdrive.

S-1001 with A/D

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Number is consistent with GH Packard engine with automatic.

Comment

Although most 1956 Golden Hawks (56J) were automatics, there were some standards made. (Try finding a standard Speedster) So, your engine could very well be a 56 Packard engine, but the original transmission was likely an automatic.

Packard also sold its newly-developed, 1/2 billion development cost motor to other manufacturers in 1955 and 1956. While I have not had any problems with the automatic transmission in my 56J, some have complained that sometimes it leaks transmission fluid.

Frank (56J registrar) has serial number identification of all cars including body numbers. I am sure that the motors used were probably mostly sequential. He would be able to tell you that.

Comment

Wouldn't you think that the 352's sold to Nash and Hudson and the one's installed in Detroit Packards would EACH have their own number sequence system, not the same as Studebaker? [:0]

Do any Packard guys KNOW? [?]

Calling PackardV-8 where are you?

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich

Comment

There is a body tag on it 56JK7 237 which I assumed was added from a donor.The vin tag on the door pillar is G1319029

Comment

What? G1319029 a 1955 Champion? I must be reading the book wrong, it would have to be a Champion Hardtop I guess, that's gotta de-value a '56J a BUNCH! Och!

quote:Originally posted by bob40

There is a body tag on it 56JK7 237 which I assumed was added from a donor.The vin tag on the door pillar is G1319029
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich

Comment

The car is blue and white.Must be a coincidence.Has the correct trunk lid and hood.I havent seen the title yet but the guy I got it from told me it was a '55 being converted.No fins on it.'55 Champion hardtop eh? The builder was from Iowa somewhere,he is now deceased and I got it from one of his friends.Possibly he had a really rusty car and bought a exact match Champion to switch the parts to although this car is a rusty cob now

Comment

Greetings, All,

There were only a few differences between Packard V8s with standard shift and the automatic engines. The standard shift engines had a pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft, a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a cast iron bellhousing and a different throttle linkage.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X