1953 Starliner Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1953 Starliner Champion

I am trying to restore my Studebaker which has been laid up since hurricane Katrina. I am now searching for a new master cylinder , and have found that several discount parts dealers offer them for a reasonable price. I need the opinion from the club as to if this is a good idea or should I go with suggested suppliers that you may have?

I've been out of Studebaker circulation for several years, so im kinda unaware of whats available and who is reputable.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks
    Herbie

Rockauto shows a few from $39.63 (Raybestos p/n MC2796)
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

What Cap'n Billy said. Make sure the arm on the piston has some slack, otherwise the MC can't release pressure and you'll have brakes locked on. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Herbie,
        Have you joined the SDC?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys, im gonna pull the master cylinder this comming week end and then check out the brake cylinders then... All 4 wheels were frozen to the hubs when i dragged her out of the garage. The rear brake shoes were new when i put her away , but were torn as they were frozen to the hubs when i took the hubs off.
          I was a member of SDC for quite a few years , but let things drop after the hurricane.. guess ill have to get back in now that my life is starting to get back to what i call normal.

Comment

I have a? I'm looking to get a 1949 champion and upgrade brakes with hydrovac system but don't know which year I can get parts off of or aftermarket pls help and is 1,500.00 $ worth buying it? It has original motor seats no dents primered and out of system for 10 years any help is appreciated thankyou

Comment

Hydrovac might not be the best bang for your buck. I wonder if Jim Turner's front disc brake conversion would work on a 47? It's all I need to stop a 55 Commander.

Comment

A good upgrade would be 1954 to 1966 Champion/Lark 6 or even '54-'66 Commander/Lark 8 (1 Inch larger drums all the way around than Champion)

For a newer Model upgrade, you would need EVERYTHING off of a Parts Car, from Backing Plate on out for all 4 including '51 and on 5 Lug Wheels.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So I can't get newer parts at autozone like from another Chevy Ford or Pontiac and put on the 49??

Comment

Or is a junkyard out of the?

Comment

Does anyone know the bolt patter for a 49? That will help me with the upgrade t.y

- - - Updated - - -

Bolt pattern correction

Comment

Brad, everything you need is readily available through SDC vendors, new or used. You are in California. Bob Petersen or Studebakers West are almost at your doorsteps. I pay big $ in shipping to get what you can find around the corner. Get to the vendors and put some modern Studebaker brakes at that thar car.

Comment

Thank-you so your saying just put the stock brakes on? I read on here the stocks don't stop and cylinder has a leak problem? Is 1500.00 with it for the car? Has no body cancer just rust here and there but sandable needs back bumper rear side 2 piece glass, has original motor in it and tranny was running and it's been out of system for 10 years...

Comment

OK I called stud.west they said I would have to upgrade to commander brakes and he needs to See if he has the drums so thank you for your help hopefully I can find the drums I need...

Comment

I called stud.west and they informed me to upgrade to commander brakes this will be better he just needs to look for drums thankyou warrlaw...

Comment

Working...
                              X