starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter

Thank you both very much I really appreciate the help, one other thing though, I dont have the 6 volt starter either! Any ideas where I can pick one up at a decent cost?

starter

Hello everyone, Im new to the boards and have a question, Im converting my 1949 champion from 6 volt to 12 volt and dont know what starter I should be looking for and also need to know if Im going to need a 12 volt starter switch that goes on the floor boards.

Comment

Use the "search" function and look up 12 volt conversion.
      I believe the 6volt starter is fine to use in a 12 volt system. The starter switch should be okay -- the 6volt wiring is generally heavier than 12 volt wiring. (that is a good thing)

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Kerry's right. The 6volt starter should last a LONG time on 12 volts. No need to change it!
        What you DO have to worry about is the Overdrive relay and solenoid (assuming your car HAS OD.) Also the heater and defroster motor if so equipped.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And wiper motor, if it is electric. Also add a ballast resistor to the coil.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I see you say you don't even have a 6 volt starter. Well, it would be easiest if you could FIND a 6volt starter because the teeth on the drive end are of a different count than those on the 12 volt units and that count (numbe of teeth) is critical to match up with the tooth spacing on the flywheel ring gear. One might actually work with the other - but not for long![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X