Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

I have a 170 OHV 6 with the 3 speed no over drive transmission that came out of a 1962 champ. I want to put it in a 1963 Lark that had the same engine and 3 speed trans originally. Will the truck 3 speed work in a car? The lark is a 63S-F2

bellhousing will be different; it'll probably be easier if you use a car bellhousing. I'm not sure if the transmissions are the same or not.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have the trans out of a 1955 Champion that has OD and is a 3 speed. Will that one work?

Comment

Trucks and pre 1958 Transmissions all have short tails, used with a 2 piece driveshaft, with a center support in a crossmember that does not exist on a '62. 1958 and newer cars have a "slide-in" driveshaft yoke which will not work with the short tail "bolted yoke" type. This requires way too much modification, when buying the correct 4 bolt top cover long tail 6 cyl. Overdrive Trans. is a bolt-in usually with only a driveshaft length change.

The one from the Truck would have the wrong input shaft as well.

You do not want a direct 3 speed in a OHV 6, unless you have changed the rear axle ratio from 3.73 to 3.31 you will over-rev and overheat the engine at over 55 MPH and most of us know all too well what happens then -(cracked head).

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Say I was to get a 3 speed from a lark. Would the champ truck pressure plate and clutch disk work with the lark transmission?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62Daytona

Say I was to get a 3 speed from a lark. Would the champ truck pressure plate and clutch disk work with the lark transmission?
            Nope, the input shaft splines on the T96 won't mesh with the Champ clutch hub.

Six cylinder car trannies, clutches and bellhousings should not be hard to come by. SASCO has NOS T96 long-tail overdrives on hand.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Is the flywheel at least the same?

Comment

Working...
              X