• Show
Clear All

• irish
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	T-10 Input Shaft 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1696140That's right, The 2.54 first gear has one groove (or ring) cut into the input shaft splines. The 2.20 first gear doesn't have any grooves in the input shaft. Click on the pic I attached and you can see the groove I'm talking about.

Joe

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
    I seem to remember that one of them had a ring or maybe 2 rings cut into the main shaft. i forget which one it was.
    Last edited by irish; 04-03-2015, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    I seem to remember that one of them had a ring or maybe 2 rings cut into the main shaft. i forget which one it was.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Best way is to pull the D cover off the side and count the teeth.

Leave a comment:

• HawkBuilder
    replied
    I posted yesterday with the question about T-10 rear mount. My T-10 is from a 62 Hawk, GM bolt pattern. Is there a way I can tell from the stampings on the case if I have the close or wide ratio?

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    1961 and all 1962 T-10s were GM wide bolt pattern. '63 and '64 were Ford/Studebaker pattern.
    I have a 63 with a dud Stude FOM. Are there any other Ford boxes from this era that will bolt straight on? Any autos, i.e FMX?

Leave a comment:

• Xcalibur
    replied
    If you already have the GM pattern bellhousing, you might wish to look at the GM T-5 five-speeds, as well. I'm on the road at the moment and don't have my manuals at hand, but google would let you know which first-gear ratios were available in what.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Irish is correct. The late '62 Hawks got the 2.54 1st with the GM pattern case.

Leave a comment:

• irish
    replied
    The first roughly 200 1962's are the GM pattern but they are the close ratio 2.20 first gear versions. The remainder (and the majority) of the 1962's are the GM pattern with the wide ratio 2.54 first gear transmissions.

Originally posted by WCP View Post
    Studebaker installed some 200 GM pattern wide ratio 4 speeds in '62, I believe, according to the parts book. I have one rebuilt and for sale. I'll be off-line for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    Studebaker installed some 200 GM pattern wide ratio 4 speeds in '62, I believe, according to the parts book. I have one rebuilt and for sale. I'll be off-line for a few days.
    WCP, PM sent.

Leave a comment:

• GinettaG12P
    replied
    From the foregoing, is it safe to assume that my 1963 Avanti R2 has a T10 with a Ford bolt pattern and a 2.54:1 first gear, or are Avantis different?

Leave a comment:

• irish
    replied
    There is a lot of confusion on this because well, it is confusing! I have owned several (still have a quite a few) of the Studebaker 4-speeds. The 1961 and 1962 T-10's all have the GM bolt pattern. The 1961 and early 1962's have the close ratio 2.20 first gear. Now to make it more confusing, from the cars I have seen it looks like the Hawks switched to a wide ratio 2.54 first gear earlier in the 1962 model year than the Larks did. So, if you have a 1962 it will have the GM bolt pattern but depending on when your 1962 was built it will have either the 2.20 or the 2.54 first gear. The 1963's and 64's all have the Ford bolt pattern and 2.54 first gear. Although I have ran across some info indicating you could still order a 2.20 first gear I haven't ever seen one in a 1963-64 Studebaker.

Joe

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    1961 and all 1962 T-10s were GM wide bolt pattern. '63 and '64 were Ford/Studebaker pattern.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    If you want to use the wide ratio T 10 in a '61 you can either swap in the matching bellhousing OR, if you already have the GM style housing, swap the guts into the GM style case. SI has some of the GM style cases (bare) in South Bend.

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    The GM pattern T10 is the close ratio unit with the 2.20 first gear. The Ford pattern T10' s are wide ratio boxes with the 2.54 first gear. The close ratio gearbox (in the Ford style case)) was available as an option in '63 and '64 but are very hard to find.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    I drove that combination for years with no problems. It pulled reasonably strongly off the line. What tires are you running? Tire diameter makes a huge difference in the overall leverage. Stock cam?
    Car is California currently, while I live in Washington, so I couldn't say the tire size exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're a reasonable size for a 15" rim. That's a good thought though, I'll double check on that later this month when I'm down there. And yes, stock cam.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X