T-10 bolt patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T-10 bolt patterns

The tech pages at studebaker-info.org seem to be down. I was trying to look up the bolt pattern Studebaker used for their T-10's in 1961. Can't remember if it was Ford then and Chevy later or vice versa? I have a close ratio but am looking for a wide ratio. Would everything else match up on another T-10 as long as I have the correct engine-to-bell housing pattern? I know speedo calibration could be a little off, but that's fixable.

Dave

61 was the GM pattern.

Comment

61 was the GM pattern.
      Great, thanks.

Comment

I believe 1961, and early 62, had the GM pattern. Speedometer reading would not change, unless you changed rear axle ratio.
        Tom T.

Comment

I also have a T10 from a 61 hawk. Were they all close ratio in 61? I like winding out a 259 in second. Is 2nd "close" to 1st or 3rd?
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I also have a T10 from a 61 hawk. Were they all close ratio in 61? I like winding out a 259 in second. Is 2nd "close" to 1st or 3rd?
            Dave Warren, is the 259 in your Hawk? And do you know what rear end ratio you have? I have a 3.31 and it really lugs down when taking off from a stop, which is why I'm looking for a wide ratio.
            I got back to the studebaker-info page I couldn't access last night, and it says ratios are as follows:

Close Wide
            2.20 2.54
            1.68 1.91
            1.30 1.51
            1.0 1.0

Comment

The T10 is from a 61 Hawk. Hope to drop it in my 55 259 Commander some day. I changed the rear ratio from a 3:31 to a 3:73 for the quarter mile. I'm running in pure stock and there were no 4 speeds available in 55. Most people would tell me to go with a 3spd/OD but I'm running the Detroit Gear automatics until I get thoroughly beat, then I'll retire it and upgrade to the T10. I'll have to also go 12V at that time if I wish to use the starter that came with the T10. Looks like 2nd gear on the wide ratio would wind out pretty good (lol). My first 55 Commander was a 259 with the 3spd OD. First gear was chewed so I always started out in 2nd. If I had a quarter mile of straight road, it could be heard and recognized for miles

Comment

Originally posted by ToGa 42 View Post
                I believe 1961, and early 62, had the GM pattern. Speedometer reading would not change, unless you changed rear axle ratio.
                Tom T.
                1961 and all 1962 T-10s were GM wide bolt pattern. '63 and '64 were Ford/Studebaker pattern.

Comment

The T10 is from a 61 Hawk. Hope to drop it in my 55 259 Commander some day. I changed the rear ratio from a 3:31 to a 3:73 for the quarter mile. I'm running in pure stock and there were no 4 speeds available in 55. Most people would tell me to go with a 3spd/OD but I'm running the Detroit Gear automatics until I get thoroughly beat, then I'll retire it and upgrade to the T10. I'll have to also go 12V at that time if I wish to use the starter that came with the T10. Looks like 2nd gear on the wide ratio would wind out pretty good (lol). My first 55 Commander was a 259 with the 3spd OD. First gear was chewed so I always started out in 2nd. If I had a quarter mile of straight road, it could be heard and recognized for miles
                  I see, so you haven't had the T10/3.31/259 combo yet. Sounds like you're having fun though!

Anyone else have a V8 - specifically a 289 - with a close ratio T10 and a 3.31? Mine really has no low speed get-up-and-go, even being impossible to not lug it down when starting from a dead stop. Once up around 40mph it feels like it has plenty of oomph though. Wondering if it's all a gearing thing or I have an engine tuning problem...

Comment

The 3:31 was fine for the automatics. The 3 spd /OD cars, especially Champions, could have a 4:27. The OD made up for it. A 4 spd car would probably do OK with a 3:73. It made a big difference when I switched. Car feels a lot sportier, and I gained 1/4 second in the quarter mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
                      I see, so you haven't had the T10/3.31/259 combo yet. Sounds like you're having fun though!

Anyone else have a V8 - specifically a 289 - with a close ratio T10 and a 3.31? Mine really has no low speed get-up-and-go, even being impossible to not lug it down when starting from a dead stop. Once up around 40mph it feels like it has plenty of oomph though. Wondering if it's all a gearing thing or I have an engine tuning problem...
                      I drove that combination for years with no problems. It pulled reasonably strongly off the line. What tires are you running? Tire diameter makes a huge difference in the overall leverage. Stock cam?

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I drove that combination for years with no problems. It pulled reasonably strongly off the line. What tires are you running? Tire diameter makes a huge difference in the overall leverage. Stock cam?
                        Car is California currently, while I live in Washington, so I couldn't say the tire size exactly, but I'm pretty sure they're a reasonable size for a 15" rim. That's a good thought though, I'll double check on that later this month when I'm down there. And yes, stock cam.

Comment

The GM pattern T10 is the close ratio unit with the 2.20 first gear. The Ford pattern T10' s are wide ratio boxes with the 2.54 first gear. The close ratio gearbox (in the Ford style case)) was available as an option in '63 and '64 but are very hard to find.
                          R2Andrea

Comment

If you want to use the wide ratio T 10 in a '61 you can either swap in the matching bellhousing OR, if you already have the GM style housing, swap the guts into the GM style case. SI has some of the GM style cases (bare) in South Bend.
                            R2Andrea

Comment

Studebaker installed some 200 GM pattern wide ratio 4 speeds in '62, I believe, according to the parts book. I have one rebuilt and for sale. I'll be off-line for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X