X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Stunt View Post
    I see, so you haven't had the T10/3.31/259 combo yet. Sounds like you're having fun though!

Anyone else have a V8 - specifically a 289 - with a close ratio T10 and a 3.31? Mine really has no low speed get-up-and-go, even being impossible to not lug it down when starting from a dead stop. Once up around 40mph it feels like it has plenty of oomph though. Wondering if it's all a gearing thing or I have an engine tuning problem...
    I drove that combination for years with no problems. It pulled reasonably strongly off the line. What tires are you running? Tire diameter makes a huge difference in the overall leverage. Stock cam?

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    The 3:31 was fine for the automatics. The 3 spd /OD cars, especially Champions, could have a 4:27. The OD made up for it. A 4 spd car would probably do OK with a 3:73. It made a big difference when I switched. Car feels a lot sportier, and I gained 1/4 second in the quarter mile.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    The T10 is from a 61 Hawk. Hope to drop it in my 55 259 Commander some day. I changed the rear ratio from a 3:31 to a 3:73 for the quarter mile. I'm running in pure stock and there were no 4 speeds available in 55. Most people would tell me to go with a 3spd/OD but I'm running the Detroit Gear automatics until I get thoroughly beat, then I'll retire it and upgrade to the T10. I'll have to also go 12V at that time if I wish to use the starter that came with the T10. Looks like 2nd gear on the wide ratio would wind out pretty good (lol). My first 55 Commander was a 259 with the 3spd OD. First gear was chewed so I always started out in 2nd. If I had a quarter mile of straight road, it could be heard and recognized for miles
    I see, so you haven't had the T10/3.31/259 combo yet. Sounds like you're having fun though!

Anyone else have a V8 - specifically a 289 - with a close ratio T10 and a 3.31? Mine really has no low speed get-up-and-go, even being impossible to not lug it down when starting from a dead stop. Once up around 40mph it feels like it has plenty of oomph though. Wondering if it's all a gearing thing or I have an engine tuning problem...

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    Originally posted by ToGa 42 View Post
    I believe 1961, and early 62, had the GM pattern. Speedometer reading would not change, unless you changed rear axle ratio.
    Tom T.
    1961 and all 1962 T-10s were GM wide bolt pattern. '63 and '64 were Ford/Studebaker pattern.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    The T10 is from a 61 Hawk. Hope to drop it in my 55 259 Commander some day. I changed the rear ratio from a 3:31 to a 3:73 for the quarter mile. I'm running in pure stock and there were no 4 speeds available in 55. Most people would tell me to go with a 3spd/OD but I'm running the Detroit Gear automatics until I get thoroughly beat, then I'll retire it and upgrade to the T10. I'll have to also go 12V at that time if I wish to use the starter that came with the T10. Looks like 2nd gear on the wide ratio would wind out pretty good (lol). My first 55 Commander was a 259 with the 3spd OD. First gear was chewed so I always started out in 2nd. If I had a quarter mile of straight road, it could be heard and recognized for miles

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    I also have a T10 from a 61 hawk. Were they all close ratio in 61? I like winding out a 259 in second. Is 2nd "close" to 1st or 3rd?
    Dave Warren, is the 259 in your Hawk? And do you know what rear end ratio you have? I have a 3.31 and it really lugs down when taking off from a stop, which is why I'm looking for a wide ratio.
    I got back to the studebaker-info page I couldn't access last night, and it says ratios are as follows:

Close Wide
    2.20 2.54
    1.68 1.91
    1.30 1.51
    1.0 1.0

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    I also have a T10 from a 61 hawk. Were they all close ratio in 61? I like winding out a 259 in second. Is 2nd "close" to 1st or 3rd?

Leave a comment:

• ToGa 42
    replied
    I believe 1961, and early 62, had the GM pattern. Speedometer reading would not change, unless you changed rear axle ratio.
    Tom T.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    replied
    61 was the GM pattern.
    Great, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    61 was the GM pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Stunt
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: T-10 bolt patterns

T-10 bolt patterns

The tech pages at studebaker-info.org seem to be down. I was trying to look up the bolt pattern Studebaker used for their T-10's in 1961. Can't remember if it was Ford then and Chevy later or vice versa? I have a close ratio but am looking for a wide ratio. Would everything else match up on another T-10 as long as I have the correct engine-to-bell housing pattern? I know speedo calibration could be a little off, but that's fixable.

Dave
Working...
X