X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairborn Flanged Axle conversion

So I will be ordering the Flanged axle kit for my 57 silver hawk here:

http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/parts.htm

I noticed Phil sells an inner seal instillation tool. Am I gonna need this if I do not know what it is?

He was all so telling me about the use of shims when doing the axle conversion. I had to cut our conversation short but can anyone explain this for me? They space the...bearings?

Will I need the shop manual?

Thanks!

-Kenny

PS If anyone has any tips or tricks I should be aware of they would be appreciated.

If you own a Studebaker...you need a shop manual (as well as the two parts catalogs)...even if you are already an expert mechanic.

The only way to get the proper preload on the axle bearings is with the use of shims (this is with the stock axles OR the flanged ones). The shop manual will explain the process for adjusting the proper preload on the axle bearings. You MAY have enough shims with in your current axle to accomplish this with the new axles, and you may not and have to order some.

For tips and tricks, finish your conversation with Phil...he's the man [^].

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don't be afraid of tapered axles. Phil is the man for the flanged axles. The stock axles are more than tough enough for the above average drag racer.

Gordon

Comment

Its best to also mention that stock axles should be checked for cracks
        prior to even driving an unknown condition tapered axle Studebaker.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Don't be afraid of tapered axles. Phil is the man for the flanged axles. The stock axles are more than tough enough for the above average drag racer.Gordon
        '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Again, thanks for all the help.

But what about the inner seal instillation tool?

I know the tapered axles are strong and what not, but the bad stories I have herd of tapered axles snapping (especially with my single master cylinder), along with the pain in the A** these tapered axles have been so far, I'm looking forward to putting that all behind me. I would just like the piece of mind that I am all set in the back and can feel confident with at least one part of the car. And yes, Phil is the man.

Comment

Inner seal installation tool? You mean a BF socket, or if you don't have one, a piece of black iron water pipe the correct diameter?

nate

Improvised Mechanic's Tools, Inc.

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Kenny,

Phil gives very good instructions with the axles. You will need the inner seal installation tool or some thing of the diameter of the inner seal to set it in place. Don't forget to lightly grease the inner seal and check for the thrust blocks in the axle tube. You may need additional shims and cut them according to the directions Phil gives. You need a dial indicator as well to check for end play in the axle after setting the bearings into the axle. When both axles are installed grab a rubber mallet and whack both flanged axle then pull on the flange. You will hear/feel movement in the axle (in and out movement) this is where you test for endplay. get out your calculator and determine the thickness of shim that you have to add/subtract. You may have to loosen and take one side off a couple of times to get the endplay bang on.

If you have any question email my your phone number and I will call you to tell you how I installed my flanged axles last winter.

I got little bit baffled during my install when I could not get any endplay and Ted Harbit straighten me out in less than 2 minutes during a phone call.

Have fun it's well worth the experience of doing it yourself

Phil's a great resource and a fantastic vendor.

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I actually [u]lived</u> that story.[B)][:0]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Kenny
                I know the tapered axles are strong and what not, [u]but the bad stories I have herd of tapered axles snapping (especially with my single master cylinder)</u>
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me
                  ...and check for the thrust blocks in the axle tube.
                  Only if you have a TT axle

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X