Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or is this Lark just squirrelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Is it just me, or is this Lark just squirrelly?

I realize I'm dealing with a 53 year old car, so maybe this is just the way it is, but I'm looking to be enlightened. My 62 Lark hardtop has a 259 with Flight-o-matic and power steering. I'm running 195/60R15s with Studebaker rims on the front, wider tires on MOPAR rims on the back. At city speeds, no issues whatsoever. But my daily commute, for which I am using "Louie", is a 50-mile round trip on Interstates all the way. When I exceed about 65 mph, it starts wandering a little and it takes constant correction to keep it in my lane. Is this just standard operating procedure for these old-school power steering units, or a sign that I need some linkage work done?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by StudeNewby; 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM. Reason: added information
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

I would wonder about those really tiny dia. but really FAT front tires vs Huge rear Tires causing a weight transfer problem and wandering.

But usually when these steering systems are not properly aligned or they have too much slop in the linkage or wear on the P/S Control Valve, wandering will happen.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeNewby
      A much better size would be 215/70r15 as the tire has a much higher load capacity.You are overworking that little 195/60/15 way too hard. All too often people undersize their rubber and it drives me crazy. On my '63 GT I successfully for several decades, have run 235/70r15 on 15x7 rims. To me (anyway) it has the appropriate height and is still planting a decent size of footprint. You don't state your rear size but in a 60 series, 245/60r15 would be good choice depending on what rim offset you are using. or 225/70r15 in a 70's profile.
      195/60r15 Load capacity: 1235lbs (@max pressure) 24.6 height
      215/70r15 " " : 1620lbs (@max pressure) 26.77 height
      As you can see the smaller size is giving up 770 lbs capacity on one axle alone. You should always have a cushion so running at max pressure to compensate overworks the hell out of the tire.
      Let me know what you are running for rear sizing & I'll see if I can help.
      Bill

Comment

Well...I respect the opinions offered. But, unless that front has had excellent lube jobs at appropriate intervals, I suggest a complete examination of the entire front suspension and steering components. From the center crank bearing, steering gear, tie rod ends, king pins, A frame bushings, and wheel bearings. Slop in any of these is noticeable, but a slight wear in all, and you'll find yourself in a constant "wander" correction mode.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
          StudeNewby
          A much better size would be 215/70r15 as the tire has a much higher load capacity.You are overworking that little 195/60/15 way too hard. All too often people undersize their rubber and it drives me crazy. On my '63 GT I successfully for several decades, have run 235/70r15 on 15x7 rims. To me (anyway) it has the appropriate height and is still planting a decent size of footprint. You don't state your rear size but in a 60 series, 245/60r15 would be good choice depending on what rim offset you are using. or 225/70r15 in a 70's profile.
          195/60r15 Load capacity: 1235lbs (@max pressure) 24.6 height
          215/70r15 " " : 1620lbs (@max pressure) 26.77 height
          As you can see the smaller size is giving up 770 lbs capacity on one axle alone. You should always have a cushion so running at max pressure to compensate overworks the hell out of the tire.
          Let me know what you are running for rear sizing & I'll see if I can help.
          Bill
          Bill,
          You are confirming my suspicions. These tires were installed by the previous owner. The front tires look like they are running flat all the time and I know that isn't good for them. On the back he put 235/60R15s on wider Mopar rims, and they look fine. These fat front tires are starting to wear on the inside, too...not sure if it is due to the size making them ride on negative camber, or if its parts replacement time, or both.
          I have a set of 215/60r15s that are like new that I am thinking about swapping for...???
          Last edited by StudeNewby; 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
          Mike Davis

Comment

The inside wear on the front tires is because, a too fat tire was "pinched down" onto a too narrow stock rim. Maybe also over-inflation.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Well...I respect the opinions offered. But, unless that front has had excellent lube jobs at appropriate intervals, I suggest a complete examination of the entire front suspension and steering components. From the center crank bearing, steering gear, tie rod ends, king pins, A frame bushings, and wheel bearings. Slop in any of these is noticeable, but a slight wear in all, and you'll find yourself in a constant "wander" correction mode.
              True, John. The PO said he only had this car for about 3 years, but some of the things he did, and others he left undone, are baffling me...
              Mike Davis

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The inside wear on the front tires is because, a too fat tire was "pinched down" onto a too narrow stock rim. Maybe also over-inflation.
                Rich,
                I usually run them at a couple of pounds below max pressure, so that should not be the problem. Thanks for the tip.
                Mike Davis

Comment

First, per the Shop Manual directions, lube all the fittings shown and adjust the steering box and the power steering valve.

Then, you don't mention ever having an alignment done. Bring the Shop Manual with you, show him the directions and tell the tech you want all the positive caster the adjustment will allow. It isn't enough but all there can be will help.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Amen.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                      Bill,
                      You are confirming my suspicions. These tires were installed by the previous owner. The front tires look like they are running flat all the time and I know that isn't good for them. On the back he put 235/60R15s on wider Mopar rims, and they look fine. These fat front tires are starting to wear on the inside, too...not sure if it is due to the size making them ride on negative camber, or if its parts replacement time, or both.
                      I have a set of 215/60r15s that are like new that I am thinking about swapping for...???
                      Don't be surprised if you have a toe-out condition on the front end--inside wear on the tires. Could also be too much negative camber, but in my experience a wandering front end at speed is usually a toe problem. Since there is probably some wear in the tie rod ends, and if it wasn't set running over a "toe ramp" to check it dynamically it probably is close till it starts to roll then wear and flex allow the tires to get in a toe out condition. Try adjusting it for slightly too much toe in, see if that helps. And yes there is a "dead zone" on center as the control valve needs to move slightly in relation to the pitman arm ball to activate the hydraulics. And, yes, you might have to renew the front end to get it to your comfort level, just don't expect modern steering response.

Comment

I have to disagree with you karterfred. If he installs a delrin kit it will be tight and feel modern. To bad he is so far away as one drive in Pinkie would make you agree to never use the stock rubber junk.
                        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Not to hi-jack this thread but would like to add a thought............on my Avanti, for many many years I always thought the steering was a bit sloppy, but lived with it..........every time on the lift I saw nothing out of the ordinary..........then three years ago I left the car at my buds shop to change the brake lines and put in duel chamber master cyl........while on the lift for what ever reason the new just hired mechanic started inspecting my front end ...tie rods etc...........well what he found were four loose as hell bolts that hold the center pin down!...and he was able to actually see major movement there!. A simple removal of the old bolts and replacement with new, along with "ny-lok" nuts made the car ride so much tighter with almost no play in my steering wheel when at speed!! Sometimes the simple things are never checked:-( Also I ride 205-15 tires on MoPar Cordoba rims........purchased when one could still get new rims from KH!

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            First, per the Shop Manual directions, lube all the fittings shown and adjust the steering box and the power steering valve.

Then, you don't mention ever having an alignment done. Bring the Shop Manual with you, show him the directions and tell the tech you want all the positive caster the adjustment will allow. It isn't enough but all there can be will help.

jack vines

A lot of good thoughts here but if all those fail then go with Jack's suggestion. Crank absolutely all the positive caster available into the kingpin adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
                              I have to disagree with you karterfred. If he installs a delrin kit it will be tight and feel modern. To bad he is so far away as one drive in Pinkie would make you agree to never use the stock rubber junk.
                              I have no reason to disbelieve your claim on the Delrin bushings, but the Bendix power assist does need a "slop" at the pitman ball to function and move the spool in the control valve. I will admit it is actually less than the on-center vagueness of my 99 Chevy S10 Extreme, but compared to my 2013 Mustang GT it feels "indirect", so to me it will never feel "modern" in response--just have had too many rack and pinion steered cars since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                              X