Interior trim paint 50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Interior trim paint 50 Champion

Can anyone tell me what the dash and trim color was in a 50 Champion and where I might find some. I don't want to paint the dash but the window trim and steering shaft need to be paint. thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

I don't know for sure but I doubt they were all the same color. (?)
    I have a 50 champion dash that is a dark charcoal gray.

Dean.

Comment

My 50' Champion was built in late November 1949 and the dash and other interior metal was kind of taupe but the body shop, without my knowledge, used a medium gray. If you do a Google search for color images you might get a sense of the color.

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
      Can anyone tell me what the dash and trim color was in a 50 Champion and where I might find some. I don't want to paint the dash but the window trim and steering shaft need to be paint. thanks

Comment

That interior paint color is known around here informally as "grayige" (gray-beige). I don't know the official name or number of that color. Every stock 1950 Champion that I've seen has that interior color. If you come up with a good formula, please share it. This is a regular question.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

C

Every dash I've seen has been the same color as my 1950 Champion. Convertibles had body color dashes, but closed cars had this color. Mine needs to be touched up on the ash tray and glove box.Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ Glove Box 1950.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1695950Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Dash 1950.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1695951

Comment

Yep, mine was the same as yours, Tom.
            Dan

Comment

I think what I'll do is buy an ash tray and glove box door from a junk yard and paint those. If they come out a perfect match I can then install them. If the paint doesn't match I'll still have my good parts installed and can try painting again on the extra parts.

Comment

TWChamp, that is the same color as mine and 2 other dashes I have as well as every 1950 I have seen.

Studebaker International has a trim paint called "Loma Gray" and specified 1953 trim. Does anyone know if this is the same or close? I have a auto paint and body supply here that has a device that is supposed to be able to match any color from a sample 3-4" square. I may drive up and see if he can us it on the dash. If that works I can at least get the mixing numbers for anyone who needs it.
                sigpic
                Barn Find
                1950 Champion
                Before I started
                Jim Berry
                Midlothian, TX

Comment

Also notice that the dash doesn't have high gloss. You don't want sunlight and headlights reflecting inside the car.

Comment

Loma gray is not the same.
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Working...
                    X