Hawk 3.73 rear end in NW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Hawk 3.73 rear end in NW?

I'm looking for a 3.73 rear end for a '61 Hawk, somewhere in the Pacific NW so as not to need it shipped (I'm in Olympia). Twin Traction would be nice but not necessary. The person on craigslist around here selling a bunch of Stude parts (see this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ker-Parts-Haul) says he may have one, not sure, he only gets out to where the parts are once a week. All the rear ends in his photo look like they've been sitting out in the rain, so I'm not feeling so good about what he may or may not have.

Dave

Hi Dave,
    That is what I have in my '63 GT R4 Clone and it works superbly. Keep trying to chase that craigslist one down. It will be worth the effort. On the track a number of years ago I clocked low 90's @ high 14's with that ratio. Probably could have done better if I hadn't been so hung over at the time.
    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Nice, Bill! I currently have a 3.31 coming off a close ratio 4-speed, and it just lugs down too much when taking off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
        Nice, Bill! I currently have a 3.31 coming off a close ratio 4-speed, and it just lugs down too much when taking off.
        I believe most '61 Hawks now, and all in '61, should have the Chevy Case T-10 with the 2.20 Low gear, so that explains the slower than you would like standing starts with the Std. ratio 3.31.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is there a designation on the case that means Twin Traction?

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
            Is there a designation on the case that means Twin Traction?
            Yes you look at the Rear Cover at about 4:00 there will be a Tin Tag under a Bolt stamped 45 with an alpha like "45C" indicating the ramp angle of the unit, nothing important, but 45 indicates a TT.
            Some say TT, others still also have a 2 bolt hole strap under the right two bolts at the center warning to use special SP Axle Lube.

The H.D. Dana 44 Diff's. used on 289 Cars can be open or Limited Slip but are I.D.'d by a raised "44" on the Lower Web of the casting that connects the right axle tube to the center "Pumpkin".

The Axle Ratio Tag will be under a Bolt at 8:00. Later units are stamped 3.73 or whatever, older units have the Ring Gear Tooth count over the Pinion tooth count, to be divided to get the Ratio.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2015, 06:55 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The H.D. Dana 44 Diff's. used on 289 Cars can be open or Limited Slip but are I.D.'d by a raised "44" on the Lower Web of the casting that connects the right axle tube to the center "Pumpkin".
              What Rich stated here applies to tapered axle Dana 44's. On flanged axle 44's such as the one I recently took off a 66 parts car the "44" is on the front of the "pumpkin" housing, drivers side (left side, right if your looking at it installed from the front)
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks, that's super helpful. Can a Hawk take either flanged or tapered? And flanged is generally considered better, yes?

Comment

Well at least a Flanged Axle will save you a lot of frustration trying to remove those tapered Hub/Drum Assemblies on the tapered axles.

They are a bit stronger due to all axle on the ends and no taper. There is no significant difference inside.
                  Yes all '65 or '66 Studebaker CAR Flanged Axle housings should be the same width as '53 to '64.

If your Hawk had the correct Model 44 Axle in it, the driveshaft length will be correct.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                  X