Another rear end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rear end question

I replaced the rear seal while it was more accessable with the body off the frame, and snugged the nut up tight when I replaced the yoke. Have I just destroyed the bearings by not scribing the position of the nut and retighten it to that spot?
    It's a Dana 27 from my '63 Lark. :-(

Western Washington, USA

I doubt it. You're *supposed* to do all sorts of stuff when you have the pinion yoke off, but I have never had a problem simply R&Ring it, assuming no other work is done.

nate

(got a 44 under my car right now with pinion seal replaced using above procedure.)

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I believe all of the old 27 & 44 had pinion bearing preload adjust by shims under outer pinion bearing. As long as it was shimmed properly
      when originally assembled and nothing was changed other than seal, you would do no damage tightening nut. If it's too tight it will be
      difficult to turn. My book says to tighten to 150 ftlb.

Comment

You "ONLY" tighten the pinion nut that tight (150 ft lbs) with a NEW crush sleeve.
        The shims noted are for the pinion to ring gear depth only. The nut is to hold everything together after that. You put too much "crush" into the system..your pinion bearings won't live too long. Too little load...same problem.

The bare pinion (no ring gear) should turn with about 20 (+/- 5) in lbs of load (torque wrench). Yes...inch pounds.

Also...is the nut's locking feature still working? If not...Lock Tite will work fine.

Mike

Comment

Older Dana rears do not have crush sleeves. Preload is set by shims between front pinion bearing and pinion gear shaft. The pinion depth
          adjustment shims are under inner bearing cup.

Comment

Never seen a pinion that didn't have a crush sleeve..from the factory...but then again, I never had a Stude vintage Dana pinion out either.

In any case, be carefull about tightening the pinion nut. A light pinion rotation is still valid.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Never seen a pinion that didn't have a crush sleeve...
              Me neither. My '54 does. I can't believe that Dana changed the design of that rear end...ever. The parts manual calls it a "spacer" I believe...and shows it back to at least 1951 (as far back as my books go).

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I checked my 51 book. Item number 1005-68, part number 190037 is a spacer applicable only to 10G, 1951. It is not a crush sleeve. It's what it
                says it is, a spacer. It has shims(item #1005-71, labeled as shim, pinion bearing adjusting) with it and it appears in no other part book that I can find. Item #1005-36 labeled as shim, pinion adjusting, sets pinion depth. If the thing has proper amount of shims you can't hurt it by tightening the nut as it will only go so far. I have had 25, 27, 41,44 60,70 apart and I don,t recall a crush sleeve in any of them. I won't say
                later didn,t use them but I have never run into crush sleeve in a Dana with the exception of a later Jeep probably a model 30.

Comment

Whew! I just replaced my pinion seal and torqued it pretty good- it stll turns freely. I'm glad I didn't overcrush anything in there (like a crush sleeve)!

Gallivan
                  57 Golden Hawk
                  Golden, CO
                  Gallivan
                  57 Golden Hawk
                  Golden, CO

Comment

Crush sleeves in a Studebaker...I don't think so! I think it's called GMitis! They've just worked on too many of those "disposable rear ends" to know what a real rear end looks like!

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Crush sleeves in a Studebaker...I don't think so!
                      Yikes! I'd better yank that one out of my 44 [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

This is all very confusing.....

I have a leaky pinion seal and wanted to do the R/R myself but....what's the correct scoop? I was told it has a crush last summer from another mechanic and I looked in the parts book and all I saw was what was mentioned by dick, a "spacer." Since I haven't taken a rear axle apart myself, I didn't know if that spacer was actually a "crush sleeve" and Studebaker liked to call it otherwise. So, I decided to wait and think about it, and here I am still thinking about it and the correct procedure. What the heck, usually this forum is very helpful, but not on this topic, thus far. Could we get some picks or additional factual details...seems like both parties have valid info so far. Thanks.

Best Regards,
                        Eric West
                        "The Speedster Kid"
                        Sunny Northern California
                        Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                        And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                        55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                        55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
                        Best Regards,
                        Eric West
                        "The Speedster Kid"
                        Sunny Northern California
                        Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                        And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                        55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                        55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

We don't need to be confusing people so lets try to clear this up. Dick, you say you have a 44 with a crush sleeve. What year is the rear. Give us the part number out of the Studebaker parts book. I have parts books from 51 up and I can't find one in any of them. Crush sleeves are a later invention. I have a 66 year 44 and no crush sleeve. I checked and many later Dana use crush sleeves but I have never run into one except in
                          the Jeep I previously mentioned.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

We don't need to be confusing people so lets try to clear this up. Dick, you say you have a 44 with a crush sleeve. What year is the rear. Give us the part number out of the Studebaker parts book. I have parts books from 51 up and I can't find one in any of them. Crush sleeves are a later invention. I have a 66 year 44 and no crush sleeve. I checked and many later Dana use crush sleeves but I have never run into one except in
                            the Jeep I previously mentioned.
                            Here's what I found.

The rear is a '54 (and clearly a '54 with the drain plug and grease fittings). I tore the rear end down prior to having a rear end shop install a different carrier, ring and pinion, new bearings, and TracLoc unit. I could clearly see the "crushed" crush sleeve when I removed the pinion gear. I didn't remove it from the case.

The shop that I had do the work noted that they would remove the old crush sleeve and install a new one with the new parts. They charged me for one (I supplied the other parts).

I also don't see something called a "crush sleeve" called out in the parts manual. The "spacer" that would be in the position occupied by the crush sleeve is only called out in the lighter duty rear ends.

Could it be that the use of a crush sleeve has replaced the shimming process?

Perhaps "back in the day" Dana did this process at the time of first assembly and didn't intend for it to be replaced?

Just guessing here.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

We don't need to be confusing people so lets try to clear this up.
                              I'll second that. I've been following the shop manual procedure for changing this seal since the early '60s. I have always torqued the nut to manual specs and never had a problem. My Avanti shop manual says to "torque nut to 140-180 ft. lbs." My guess is that Studebaker would have put a caution in the manual If tightening this nut too tight when changing the rear seal between differential rebuilds was going to damage the bearings. Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X