No announcement yet.

Is this supposed to be like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Is this supposed to be like this?

So I want to convert my 59 Hawk over to a 289 with a 4 speed and discovered that the original engine and trans were from a 55. Apparently someone didnt have the correct driveshaft to fit so take a look at their solution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1746516

Name:	101_2013.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1746517

Name:	101_2014.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1746518

Name:	101_2018.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1746519

A '55 would have the short tail trans and 2pc driveshaft. A '59 would have the long tail trans and 1 pc shaft.

Looks like a home-made cross member for the shaft support bearing. The correct x member has a full hole for the shaft to pass through and snugs up under the floor tunnel.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Yeah Im not sure what Im going to do now. The frame is also bent as well.

Comment

If it doesn't vibrate I'd go with it.

Two piece ds will be less unsprung weight and better ride and handling.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

A driveshaft cannot be unsprung weight.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

OPTION #1: You could modify that cross member to properly bolt the carrier Brg. support plate on the proper Rubber cushions and securing it making it as close as possible to the factory setup, then you will be able to get a good measurement for the Driveshaft to be shortened or lengthened to fit the T-10 4 Speed, have the Driveline Shop Balance it and install a slip Yoke at the front to fit the slide-in Tail of the Trans.

OPTION #2: You could cut out that center support or install one over the top of driveshaft space to support the frame but still allow room for the driveshaft and install a proper stock 4 Speed one piece Driveshaft from a 120 1/2" W/B C or K Model Car, either used or custom made. This sounds a lot easier than #1.

Option #3, I hope it does not come to having to sell or scrap/part out, the evilhawk.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think option 2 would be the best option, however the issue I have is lack of equipment and tools to take on such a task. I hate to say it, but Im afraid I may need to sell the Evilhawk or use it as a parts car for another hawk (if I could find another that I could afford). It has more issues than just the drive shaft like a bent frame, one fender is patched pretty badly with pop rivets and a bunch of other stuff. Its sad because I was really hoping to drive this car when I saved it from the crusher it 15 years ago.

Maybe I should try dropping in the 289, drive it and see if it vibrates with this weird setup. Then later on I can tare it down and fix it properly when things become a little more stable for me.. I dont know, just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                A driveshaft cannot be unsprung weight.
                I disagree, if it is a live axle the rear half of the driveshaft is attached to the diff so is unsprung, therefore if you have a center bearing you have half the rear ds weight bearing on the unsprung diff.

If the car has a fully independent rear end you are correct. Neither the ds or the diff are unsprung weight, but again, half the halfshaft, the part which attaches to the wheel is unsprung weight.
                Last edited by t walgamuth; 03-16-2015, 07:18 PM.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Someone did this to my '61 Hawk also. They used part of the crossmember from the older car, so I have the rubber mounts for the center u-joint. they bolted the piece of crossmember directly to the floor pan. I need to space it away from the floor so I can line it up properly. Does anyone know the clearance on an original two piece crossmember and the floor pan on the older Hawk? I only have a small amount of vibration when letting off the gas to pull off the hyway, so I think it's fairly close. -Jim

Comment

I have a 56 hawk frame here about ready to cut up for scrap and it still has the center drive shaft support, PM me if interested in it....Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

While you think about what to do, just drive the car around a bit avoiding puddles and pot holes. Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                        Someone did this to my '61 Hawk also. They used part of the crossmember from the older car, so I have the rubber mounts for the center u-joint. they bolted the piece of crossmember directly to the floor pan. I need to space it away from the floor so I can line it up properly. Does anyone know the clearance on an original two piece crossmember and the floor pan on the older Hawk? I only have a small amount of vibration when letting off the gas to pull off the hyway, so I think it's fairly close. -Jim
                        Originally there was a piece of rubber roughly 1/4" thick on top of the driveshaft cross member. The floor rested on that.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Both the swaps and your "fix" were common kinds of "mods" over the years... put together CASO mentality and easily interchangeable parts "nobody" wanted laying about in the back row of junk yards...

Comment

Working...
                          X