63 Avanti Radiator Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 63 Avanti Radiator Replacement

Looking for a replacement radiator for my R2 Avanti and doubt there are any NOS ones around. Read on a post that early Chevy Nova 1972 would fit and I can get one on ebay. Is this correct? Any Aluminum ones being made that would fit? Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

I'd be surprised if a '72 Chevy Nova radiator fits into a Studebaker Avanti.....but I'd sure like to know if it indeed does fit!

Comment

If the 63/64 unit fits like the later II's there are a couple of reasonable alternatives in aluminum. If so, I'll post the alternatives. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        If the 63/64 unit fits like the later II's there are a couple of reasonable alternatives in aluminum. If so, I'll post the alternatives. Bob
        Exact same fit Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Exact same fit Bob.
          Thanks Ed, I've posted it before but here it is.

The post is more shroud than radiator but it gives the source.

Any generic SBC 19" x 26" aluminum radiator can be made to work depending on how the flanges are mounted. This is a shot of the diagram I left the shop on the flanges that needed to be tiged on the radiator from Speedway as well as the radiator. The brackets were made to mount the original shroud although I eventually went to an electric setup. They bent the upper bracket as one piece as well as the bottom. The upper is shown.

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed

[IMG][/IMG]

My 83 runs a similar setup but with the radiator sourced from another supplier. Just to lazy to look it up now.

I can get more data if necessary. Bob

Comment

Thanks, all the sbc aluminum radiators I have tracked so far are showing the in and outlets at 1.500" and this Avanti radiator measures 1.750".
            Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Any radiator shop worth the name can fix ya up... and, there are SOOOOO many aluminum off-the-shelves... I have a generic ADCO in my '63 Avanti. Pm me if you are interested in details.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Xcalibur; 03-17-2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                Thanks, all the sbc aluminum radiators I have tracked so far are showing the in and outlets at 1.500" and this Avanti radiator measures 1.750".
                You can modify most anything but IIWM, I'd just add a rubber reducer bushing to the 1.75" hose making it 1.5". Once installed, they bond to the hose, exist unseen and hold like grim death. I've used them on several occasions with no issues. If flow worries one, check the amount of flow the thermostat allows and I'll bet it well under the flow in a 1.5" pipe particularly as the radiator pipe is thin walled.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

I forgot to mention... the radiator I posted above has 1-3/4" bottom outlet and 1-1/2" inlet. I had to step down both for my LS3. "Jagsthatrun" has aluminum size adapters quite reasonably.

Comment

Working...
                  X